SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 4 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CidahMastah

Reaction score
ORDER OPEN

OK here is the deal:

1. Need 42 sacks to order.
2. People would have to come and pick up their bags at the drop off location (near Syracuse, NY).
3. Payment will be done through paypal, and will be required up front, once the order is secured.

We buy directly through NCM - this means that we will get true wholesale bulk pricing!
~$25 2Row + shipping (~$6)
~$38 Marris Otter + shipping (~$6)

To see the catalog, go to:http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/download.asp?f=f6
The password is "greatmalt".

Use 2000#+ pricing

UPDATE:

Just to keep people up to speed:

Pricing
For pricing, this is an estimate. Plan for about $4-$6 per bag for shipping cost and (no tax) on your portion of the order. The prices should be pretty darn close but may vary slightly.

I will keep track and let you know roughly what you are in for $$wise.

Payment

Payments will be collected once we have secured 42 bags (or we decide to process an order with less). I would like to do all payments through paypal, if you have an issue with this please PM me.

To pay, please follow these instructions carefully to avoid paypal fees.
• Click the "Send Money" tab at the top.
• Put in the buyer's email address (check your PM inbox to get that address - I will send it out as soon as we have reached 42 bags or an order is confirmed).
• Put in the amount to send.

Here's the important part...• Under the amount box, click the "Personal" tab.
• Select "Gift".
• If you are paying from an existing paypal balance, or from your bank account, no fees will be charged. BUT... Paypal charges transaction fees for anything that is paid for with a CREDIT CARD. If you are paying with a credit card, you will have the option of selecting who has to cough up the money for those fees. Do not push those fees onto the buyer. Suck those fees up yourself.
• In the area at the bottom where it allows you to type in the custom text for the email that buyer will receive, be sure to include your name, as it appears on the spreadsheet (your homebrewtalk user name), so that buyer can track who has paid and who hasn't.
• Then send the money and chill out.
When the buyer has all of the money, he'll place the order.

After that, CidahMastah takes over and handles out the delivery end of things, which will be at his home address unless otherwise noted (if you know a place of business that we could have the shipment delivered to that has a loading dock PM CidahMastah). CidahMastah will keep us all updated on when it is to arrive, when you should show up to get it, and all that jazz. You, as the buyer, are responsible for picking up your grain or for making arrangements for someone else to pick up and hold your grain for you.

FOR SPLIT SACKS: Work out the details with your partners. Bring something to put your share in, weigh it out on site, and take your portion. Or, one of you picks up the whole sack and deal with the splitting on your own time. Whatever. That's your decision to make with your splitting partners.

For reference: a 5 gallon bucket, depending on the type of grain, will just about hold half of a 55 lb sack.

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------
ROUND 4 - ORDER OPEN - 4/27/2011

New Order has opened up (ROUND 4). I will award people their place in the order by the time frame that they contacted me. If we get to two pallets, we get a discount on shipping.

CURRENT STATUS:

1. (COMPLETED) Collect 42 sacks of grain for an order​
2. (COMPLETED)Our request for quote (RFQ) has been made​
3. (PENDING)We hear back from the buyer on actual cost (PENDING) I pass out the actual cost to everyone​
4. (PENDING)Everybody pays up (the order will NOT ship until everyone has paid via paypal)​
5. (PENDING)Once payed up (following the paypal instructions on page one of this thread) - the order will ship.​
6. (PENDING) CidahMastah will let everyone know when the shipment is to arrive (PENDING) and where it is shipping to (PENDING) , when to pick it up(PENDING) .​
7. (PENDING)We all slap high five and say job well done.​

Status
Total Bags = 0

Completed Splits:
ex.
1. CM-WHET - 1/2 (Bob, Biff)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Items below are from the last grain buy that did not get completed. If you want your Split listed then please post your interest
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfinished Business From the last buy

copyright1997 BD-Vien x 1
BrewWein CM-RYEM x 1
drmark50 few sacks and splits

1. GW-C15 - 1/3 (kzhusker 1/3, copyright1997 2/3)

REQUESTED SPLITS:

1. BZ-ARO - aromatic malt - 1/4 (CidahMastah, copyright, TwoGunz) - Needs 1
2. GW-C40 - 1/3 (copyright1997) - Needs 2
3. GW C60 - 1/3 (copyright1997) - Needs 2
4. BD-RSTB - Roasted barley 1/3 (TwoGunz) - Needs 2

Area Shared Pickup (let me know if you want to share a commute and I will post your name here)

Albany
gerglegat

Utica

Rochester

Ithaca
zeno27

A couple notes:

*No briess products or hops
*Generally items that weigh 50 or 55lbs are on the table for buying - but check with me if you have an interest in something.
*Post your interest in splits and tell me how much you want. i.e. TF-CHOC for 1/3 split; TF-CHOC for 1/4 split. I will post your interest on post#2 and add people to the splits until they are completed.
*Post 1. the product code you want and 2. the quantity (CM-2ROW x 1); not 2ROW x1 (if you don't give the code I don't know the brand you want).
*If you are buying out of area - feel free to post your desired shared pickup. i.e. "need to split driving costs from Albany, anyone interested?" I will try to facilitate hooking you guys up, but ultimately this is your responsibility to pick up your grain.
*You can add to your order as often as you like, as many times as you like (please try not to deduct from your order)

i.e. watch post #2 for splits and updates on our buy qty.

Thanks!

I am new to this group buy idea so please excuse my questions. I am correct in assuming no Briess products means none of the dme, etc items or does that include the sacks of 2row etc?

Thanks for spending the time to arrange all of this.

I am new to this group buy idea so please excuse my questions. I am correct in assuming no Briess products means none of the dme, etc items or does that include the sacks of 2row etc?

Thanks for spending the time to arrange all of this.

No problem - questions are totally fine.

For some reason briess has decided to exclude home brewers from the bulk buys at NCM - not sure why. So no DME, or any of briess grains. Since they have boycotted us, I try to boycott them when I visit the LHBS. Sorry about the DME, unfortunatley it isn't available.

As a side note, many people here grabbed grain at the discount price without even having done all grain before, but took a chance. I think everyone who did has been back to buy more, or commented on how easy All grain really is.

The guys on this thread are very good people, and if you have questions, or want recc's for set ups, brewing software and hardware / equipment from cheap to fancy - we will help.

the only briess product i buy is the smoked cherry malt, they are the only ones who supply that... but briess is over priced anyways.

i might be in for half bag of vienna or full bag, not sure yet and of what kind.

got a double brew day happening here today...

the only briess product i buy is the smoked cherry malt, they are the only ones who supply that... but briess is over priced anyways.

i might be in for half bag of vienna or full bag, not sure yet and of what kind.

got a double brew day happening here today...

All hail double brew day! (I might shoot for a double on the 4th)

:)

Did grain inventory last night. Verdict is... I still have a lot of grain!

lol, this is the first time im doing a double brew day... (im starting the boil on my first brew, as i write this) i was just i just opened my 2nd bag of 2row so i still have alot left of everything... my efficiency is so high compared to what i thought i was going to get that i will almost have an extra bag left over for the planned brews that i have.

btw im starting the sam summer all for the boil first then moving to the dfh 60!

Just remember to limit your "refreshments" until you get your first boil rolling and your second mash started. Otherwise you might have terrible brew session. Good idea to put the simple hop schedule first, especially with the DFH constant hopping madness ;)

Edit:

when you dial in a double brew day - I think you will work them in whenever you can. Something awesome about 1-2 more hours of work, and twice the yield (especially if your SWMBO gives you resistance about brew days ;). I usually precrush my grain, measure hops out in canning jars, etc. the night before. That way you aren't on your feet all day - it makes it seems like alot less work.

A friend and I will be going for the rare and elusive quintuple brew day on saturday.

Pilsner
Ipa
Porter
Bock
Imperial ipa

So, yeah, we might need grain after this.

i just finished up my double brew day, just waiting for the temp to drop a few more degrees and im pitching the yeast. that was a lot of work, next time ill remember to precrush the grains it was much more of a hassle trying to work that in... then a friend stopped by and messed everything up :p, as i had just started the mash on the 2nd one, and by the time the mash was done i was a bit buzzed.. due to letting him try the different brews i have available right now... cant let a fellow beer drinker drink alone! haha

if i had another carboy, and not volleyball tonight i would prob do another brew following this two.. it was a lot of work but fun haha, im killing my hop supply with all these ipas! but i love them so much....

i just finished up my double brew day, just waiting for the temp to drop a few more degrees and im pitching the yeast. that was a lot of work, next time ill remember to precrush the grains it was much more of a hassle trying to work that in... then a friend stopped by and messed everything up :p, as i had just started the mash on the 2nd one, and by the time the mash was done i was a bit buzzed.. due to letting him try the different brews i have available right now... cant let a fellow beer drinker drink alone! haha

if i had another carboy, and not volleyball tonight i would prob do another brew following this two.. it was a lot of work but fun haha, im killing my hop supply with all these ipas! but i love them so much....

Congrats! It is funny how things are rolling along perfectly and then someone stops over and bang, you lose your flow. Prep work is the name of the game, but I like the activity of the double brew day. Good times.

Yeah don't even get me started on how cool a triple brew day would be!! I probably won't chase that until I get a 100qt dedicated BK with electric in it. But that could be as soon as next month sometime if I am lucky.

I am in for the following,

CM-2ROW 1X
BD-MOPA 1x

I am also interested in these splits

CM-WHET 1/2 sack
CM-SPIL 1/2 sack

A friend and I will be going for the rare and elusive quintuple brew day on saturday.

Pilsner
Ipa
Porter
Bock
Imperial ipa

So, yeah, we might need grain after this.

Totally missed this post. That is simply fantastic.... I hadn't even conceptualized 5 brews in a day yet. You must have to run on shifts for who is allowed to enjoy refreshments without restriction. It could get ugly towards the end with slurred speech and chaos haha!

Sounds awesome.

My gf encourages me to do double brews so i only eff the house up once. I would rather brew 1 a day to to relax....and piss her off!

My gf encourages me to do double brews so i only eff the house up once. I would rather brew 1 a day to to relax....and piss her off!

Wait until she becomes your wife... it seems they have increased nagging skills about things like this... haha I can't complain too loud though - my wife has been great about all this madness for the most part.

My 10G double brew day was great - not stressful at all. There were many stints of sitting in a chair and "tasting" with my buddy. That said, I did prep everything I could before brew day. I don't mind doing that though; reminds me of my restaurant days as a chef.

If it is even a bit stressful though, I wouldn't bother. It should be enjoyable, or why bother brewing?

OK, I am in.

CM-2ROW x2

I am interested in a split of up to a half of
Vienna (BD-VIEN)
and
Munich (BD-MUNH)
if anyone else is interested.

I will also take the other half of that CM-WHET with Zeepo if it is still avaliable.
And i am in on the 1/3 of the GP-FLOAT with you Cidah.

As always, you are the man for putting this together.

DannSchuler said:
OK, I am in.

CM-2ROW x2

I am interested in a split of up to a half of
Vienna (BD-VIEN)
and
Munich (BD-MUNH)
if anyone else is interested.

I will also take the other half of that CM-WHET with Zeepo if it is still avaliable.
And i am in on the 1/3 of the GP-FLOAT with you Cidah.

As always, you are the man for putting this together.

Hey Dan, if you could do 1/3 on the Vienna and Munich I'll jump in on the splits.

Ill take the last 1/3 of oats. Someones welcome to half of it if thry want all i need is a 1/6 but ill put my name on it. Pm me and let me know or cidah you can leave the last 1/6 open your choice. Start a bd-munich 1/4 up for me.

Ill take the last 1/3 of oats. Someones welcome to half of it if thry want all i need is a 1/6 but ill put my name on it. Pm me and let me know or cidah you can leave the last 1/6 open your choice. Start a bd-munich 1/4 up for me.

just for ease I left it closed. However if anyone is looking to get 1/6 from jhenderson - let him know and let me know so I can update, though I bet jhenderson will find a use anyhow ;)

Cidah,
Please put us down for (1) cm-spil and (1) cm-2row for starters. I'll be adding to that when I get a minute to think what we need.

How much of a pain in the ass is it to do smaller splits on the specialties? Like 5 or 6 pounders?

Thanks once again for getting this going, we were getting low from the last buy.

Cheers!

Cidah,
Please put us down for (1) cm-spil and (1) cm-2row for starters. I'll be adding to that when I get a minute to think what we need.

How much of a pain in the ass is it to do smaller splits on the specialties? Like 5 or 6 pounders?

Thanks once again for getting this going, we were getting low from the last buy.

Cheers!

You can go the 5-6lbers for splitting, but I would recommend shying away from it. The more divisions you do, the harder it may be to get people to grab 6 or 8 spots. The splits help you guys get the order filled by adding sacks. Not to mention it gets confusing to track.

Think of it this way. If you bought the specialties in the store you would pay 2-3 times as much at least. Even if you have some of them go bad, you wouldn't lose money. I have read about people getting grain and making great beer 2 years or more after buying it.

:off:water report:off:

Have any of you used a local Syracuse company for a cheap water report to check your brew water? I was considering sending a sample to ward labs, but thought I would check with you guys first.

Thanks!

This is it for me. Dont let me purchase anything additional. The girlfriend....now fiance will have my head. : )

This is it for me. Dont let me purchase anything additional. The girlfriend....now fiance will have my head. : )

Congrats!! very good news for you (I think ;)) - nah they are worth it, no matter how much of a pain they can be at times.

You will have to work on some home brew for the big day ha!

At least you have broken her into the brewing pre marriage - the tone was already set.

cidah, i had your obsidian stout last night, that was pretty good, now im considering making that one! haha i like how dark it was. The AB was good too, i had it right after i drank the original, its almost spot on.. wow i forgot how malty it is... but good! i really think that recipe is extremely close!

jhenderson, the torpedo was very good too, i found that yours was a little more malty than the original, but i would def drink it again.. i want to brew that one too!

I think the torpedo is 50% 2row and the other hslf pilsner to get the malt content lighter. I did 50/50 pils/2row in my pale and its amazing. Just finished a pint!

Back