Yeast Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So, I have a recipe I want to make, calls for Nottingham Dry yeast, I went to my LHBS and the closest thing they could suggest was Coopers. Anyone have an opinion on this? Would there be much difference in the two for making a raspberry ale?

What a situation. Any clean fermenting ale yeast is a substitute for notty. Some are better than others...sometimes you can even switch completely and be ok. What about US-05? None? How about Windsor...might be pretty interesting in a raspberry ale.
Coopers could do the trick if treated properly.

I do love US-05, and that is my #1 Option.

My experience with Coopers is to hydrate...in warm water and be sure not to pitch too warm. Also maintain low ferment temp is pretty crucial...too warm and it'll taste funky...cool enough, it ferments pretty clean. Also make sure to aerate the hell out of your wort.

Kahuna, how do you handle your US-05 then? Same way as Coopers?

Last time I used US-05 I just hydrated, other times when I've used Coopers, I hydrate and toss some DME in with it. Thinking the DME was not needed and maybe shouldn't have done that.

I rehydrate US-05 in lukewarm water for about 15 minutes, then pitch. I haven't used Coopers yeast myself but I've substituted US-05 for Nottingham every batch so far and they turn out great, attenuation has always been good. US-05 is supposed to have a wider temperature range as well (up to 75*)

I tried Windsor once and was not happy with the attenuation, but to be fair I didn't know much at the time and it didn't really fit the style I was making at the time.

Back