Apfelwein -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
I am going to make some tonight and I wondered if I used a mix like someone suggested-

Cornsugar and Brownsugar. Would I still keep them both at 1lb each?

Also how much yeast? One pack? I didnt see any cooking directions in Edworts- so I assume you can just mix everyhting and let it sit correct?

I would probably still have to heat up the Sugars to get them to fully dissolve though.

Well, I don't know about brown sugar- I don't like molasses so I wouldn't do that. But it might be tasty to others!

Don't really worry too much about dissolving the sugar- just stir it up. It will eventually dissolve and the yeast will find it. If you heat up apple juice, you'll set the pectin (think apple jelly) and have a permenant pectin haze. One package of yeast will do it!

I can't help you with your brown sugar idea, but what's the worst that could happen? Maybe it's a bit sweeter than the original?

If this is your first time making it I'd recommend that you try the original first. It's so easy my 4 year old could do it, and it's a huge hit at parties at my house.

I've strayed a bit from the original recently adding some different juices, but I stil stick stricly to dextrose and red star champagne yeast.

YooperBrew said:
Well, I don't know about brown sugar- I don't like molasses so I wouldn't do that. But it might be tasty to others!

Don't really worry too much about dissolving the sugar- just stir it up. It will eventually dissolve and the yeast will find it. If you heat up apple juice, you'll set the pectin (think apple jelly) and have a permenant pectin haze. One package of yeast will do it!

How'd you get so many A's in your user title, Yoop? :D </sarcasm>

If you have the capacity to keg you can certainly force carb it if you like. I've only put it in bottles so far, but that will change soon.

cool-

SWMBO says shes very interested in trying it. Do I leave in the primary for 4 weeks then keg?

I just had a batch finish in about 4 weeks. When it was done the airlock totally leveled out, even backwards a bit and the apfelwein cleared. When it was done it was obvious, looks like apple juice again.
Into the keg and carbed it up, SWMBO loves it with a splash of ginger ale.
I thought it tasted really good flat and warm as well.

Back