Red ale help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to brew either a red ipa. I was just wondering what grains I could steep with that would give it a nice red color? Besides crystal 60, what would help? Thanks

I recently brewed a 5 gallon batch of a red ale using 6oz of Crystal 80L and 4oz of Chocolate Malt. I just bottled it last weekend and the colour looked quite good.

I'm a habitual DIY-er, so I find myself using various levels of home-toasted malt. when it comes to crystal/caramel, the higher the lovibond the deeper the red, but also the deeper the carmelized flavor. amother option is to use about an ounce of black patent malt or roasted barley, that wont really impart much flavor at all, just color.

Yeah 2-4 oz of chocolate malt will give you a nice red color. Jamil Zainasheff has a good red ale recipe; just google "Jamil's Evil Twin recipe". There's a few different versions and a lot of them do late hops only, but you could add a bittering charge to make it more IPAish. I brewed it a few months ago (all late hops and all grain) and it turned out fantastic!

Back