New Label!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpamDog

Reaction score
Well just finished the label for our wedding mead.. thought I would share it here:
mead3.jpg
So what do you think?? The words are still a little hard to read but they were alot worse before!! plus it is a little bigger when printed.. the words up top say "The path that leads to happiness is so narrow, two cannot walk on it unless they become one"

SpamDog

Use a contrasting color for the lettering (something dark against the yellow). Also, brightening the color and killing some of the contrast in the background image may make it easier to read.

Or maybe you could put the words on a scroll instead of directly on the image.

i might say skip the colors altogether and go for a sepia-tone on the photo. it'll make the whole design a bit calmer and more sentimental.

Nealie said:
i might say skip the colors altogether and go for a sepia-tone on the photo. it'll make the whole design a bit calmer and more sentimental.

Great idea

Do you have Photoshop, or something similar? You could make the letters look clearer just by darkening the part of the photograph behind them - if you use the "burn" tool with a soft-edged brush you can get the picture subtly darker, and the white letters will look clearer as a result.

Of course, if you haven't got Photoshop then that will make no sense whatsoever...

That's nice yuri. I'd be tempted to play with the text color to see if you can get it to stand out. A nice, fall color might work

Thanks, rd. I'm not going to put a ton of effort into it until we get some feedback from the OP. He seemed pretty happy with his own design. I just like messing with stuff like this sometimes.

Dang Yuri.. I like it... for everyones information i do have access to photoshop cs and illustrator.. that is actually how I made it.. but when it comes to graphic design i might as well be a monkey with the mouse.. i have no idea how to do much with it... I did think about making all the text larger to see if that helped.
My Fiance is actually sitting next to me and is astonished at Yuri's label.. It is great.. If you don't mind I'd like to use it.. i really like the script font and the glow around the edge of the graphic.
So now.. for future reference... how do you do the sephia thing??

SpamDog

SpamDog said:
Dang Yuri.. I like it...
If you don't mind I'd like to use it.. i really like the script font and the glow around the edge of the graphic.
So now.. for future reference... how do you do the sephia thing??
You can use it all you want. In fact, I'll help you tweak it a little if there's anything you want to change. Also, if you PM me your e-mail address, the original file is a bit higher resolution (HBT only allows roughly 600x400 JPEG images and smaller).

I don't know exactly how to tweak the color settings to get a sepia tone effect, but Gimp (the software I'm using) has an "Old Photo" dialog that does most of the dirty work for you.

Glad you like it!

EDIT:
The one change I'd like to make is to use a slightly different scripted font for the quote and the fine print at the bottom. IMHO, the one I picked looks really nice for the large title lettering, but it gets a little thin and wispy when the size decreases. Whaddaya think?

Back