Setting Chiller on top of element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmidc

Reaction score
I just completed building an electric set-up and was planning on just setting my IC on top of the element for the last 10 mins of the boil. This should be safe right? I'm shouldn't get shocked when I set this in because I'm thinking the element is just hot, right? And the heat shouldn't be too excessive to let the chiller sit there?

I would think that if the wort doesn't short the element than your cooler wouldn't either but I would be worried about the cooler getting a hole burned into it from the concentrated heat. If it was me I would err on the side of caution and figure something else out. Just my two cents though.

I have done it, it has not burned a hole in the chiller or the element. I do not like doing it though. I am thinking about making some sort of cage for my element to protect it and the chiller. Perhaps some sort of bent false bottom.
__
like this: ___l l___ ?

Back