Help converting AG to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was able to find the recipe for Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (which I just found out I really like...unlike the double chocolate stout), however it's AG. I want to stick with Extract for my first half dozen brews, so I need some help converting it (if possible).

If there are any threads that help out with this that are already in place, please let me know. Thanks!

All Grain Recipe - Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout ::: 1.055/1.014 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)

8 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt (UK if you have it, but whatever)
1 lb. - Flaked Oats
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb. - Roasted Barley
Hop Schedule (31 IBU)

1.75 oz. - East Kent Goldings - 90 min.
Yeast

White Labs Irish Ale Yeast (WLP004) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 151° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Boil for 90 minutes (remember to compensate your water)
Cool and ferment at 65° to 68°

If you have Beersmith, it wil do it for you. If you don't, you can download a free trial version. I'm feeling nice tonight, so I did it for you. :D

7.25 lbs pale LME. If you prefer DME, roughly 6.5 lbs.
0.44 lb Crystal 60
0.44 lb Chocolate malt
0.22 lb roasted barley
Flaked oats you could keep the same or slightly less.

EDIT: Forgot one thing. If you're doing a partial boil, you'll want to bump your bittering hops up 25-35 percent or so to get the desired IBUs. If it's a full boil, keep the hops the same.

Flaked oats you could keep the same or slightly less.

Huh? I thought the flaked oats won't self convert. They need to be mashed with some barley malt to get the enzymes they need.

EDIT:

From Palmer's How to Brew: Chapter 12.2:
Oatmeal 1 L Oats are wonderful in a porter or stout. Oatmeal lends a smooth, silky mouthfeel and a creaminess to a stout that must be tasted to be understood. Oats are available whole, steel-cut (i.e. grits), rolled, and flaked. Rolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as "Instant Oatmeal" in the grocery store. Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. "Quick" oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash. Cook according to the directions on the box (but add more water) to ensure that the starches will be fully utilized. Use 0.5-1.5 lb. per 5 gal batch. Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion.

Question:

Would doing this as an AG batch (my first AG) make a noticeable difference in taste, body, and color, compared with the extract recipe above and substituting Carafoam for the oats?

I got some reading to do if so :)

Question:

Would doing this as an AG batch (my first AG) make a noticeable difference in taste, body, and color, compared with the extract recipe above and substituting Carafoam for the oats?

I got some reading to do if so :)

My guess is that the taste profile would be quite different between the two, but without doing test batches I wouldn't be able to tell you in what way.

You don't necessarily have to go AG. You could do a partial mash (maybe Brew in a Bag) and just sub out some of the LME for maybe 2 pounds of 2-row. That should be enough to convert the oats. Be sure you use FLAKED oats, though.

Back