Recipe For My First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryforsenate

Reaction score
8.5 pounds Golden Promise Malt
.5 pounds Maris Otter
6oz Aromatic Malt
2oz Flaked Rice
2oz White Wheat

Wyeast American Ale 1056
Water is nestle drinking water.

Step mashed 30 minutes at 120-122 degrees, 30 minutes at 150 degrees. Raised temp to 170 to stop. Sparged.

Boiled 90 minutes, adding .5oz amarillo whole leaf hops 4 times at 15 minute intervals starting at boil. Added 1oz saaz pellet hops and irish moss 15 minutes before end.

Added 1oz hibiscus flowers and pinch of paradise seeds 2 minutes before end.

Original Gravity: 1.047

Will see how it turns out in a month.

Cool idea with the hibiscus... I thought I was the only one that picked those things as a kid and sucked the nectar out of them. :)

No real reason. It's just a different pale malt that seems to get good reviews.

I'm trying for a relatively lighter ale with some noticeable hoppiness but not the the level of an IPA, hence the MO, white wheat, and flaked rice and staggered addition of a high AA hop.

I've read that golden promise is a good pale ale malt, so I used that as my base.

It's also really damn hot here in texas, so I used american ale 1056 fermenting at 62 degree, which wyeast says promotes crispness with mild citrus notes at temps in the low 60's.

Hopefully a good beer for drinking at the lake will be born in a month.

I was thinking about letting it sit in the primary for 3.5-4 weeks before bottling. Does that sound about right?

Back