Wyeast 3068 behavior

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gubby

Reaction score
I put a 1.050 hefeweizen in the fermenter 11 days ago fermented with Wyeast 3068. The first couple of days of fermentation were furious, and I used a blowoff tube, but lost a good bit of yeast that way. Ferment temp got up to about 74*F before falling over the next couple of days to ambient (58-60*F). I would like to bottle it tomorrow after 12 days in primary, but there are still what appears to be yeast flocs on the top of the beer and it's still bubbling 1-2 times per minute. I am wondering if this is normal behavior for this yeast and if there would be any detrement to bottling it now.

Good question. What's your hydrometer say?

It is at a proper FG (1.012, 75% AA), but even if it's at an acceptable FG, it is my understanding that yeast still have work to do (cleaning up diacetyl, etc.). I'm curious what others who have used this yeast have experienced with it.

I'd say leave it for a few more days and if the gravity doesn't drop by then, go ahead and bottle. Definitely can't hurt and a lot of us leave the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks anyways.

I'd say leave it for a few more days and if the gravity doesn't drop by then, go ahead and bottle. Definitely can't hurt and a lot of us leave the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks anyways.

I would like to do this, but I need the carboy for a DIPA that I want to brew on Friday so it'll be ready in time for competition. What to do, what to do....

I haven't used 3068 but I have used wlp300, which is similar if not the same. The beer has a heavy yeast presence and is at its best when very young. If your at your FG bottle it. I wouldn;t worry about yeast cleaning up anything. I've drunk one I forced carbed 8 days after hit the ferementer. It was delicious.

I just used the 3068 in a blood orange hefewiezen and bottled it in 11 days when yeast was still on top. The beer came out wonderful. So don't get to worried about the yeast being on top. If its at its projected FG for 3 days I would bottle it.

It looks like you may be done, so follow the advice of the others above. If you choose to brew this again, try fermenting at 60-62F with this yeast. I put the fermenter in a large pail of water to help (with ice if necessary) to keep the temperature constant within this range. After a week I moved it out of the pail and let it climb to warmer temperatures. Bottled it by week 2 with your level of attenuation. I really enjoyed my simple hefeweizen, good balance of noticeable banana and clove, with neither overwhelming each other, or the beer.

for a hefe, don't let it sit too long. if the sg doesn't change, bottle/keg it. the longer you let it sit the more mild and boring it becomes.

I'm a Hydrometer man, if the hydrometer says its done then its done.

I agree with you to a degree but the hydrometer is only one tool. It is helpful to also have experience with a particular yeast strain and how it behaves under the conditions you put it under (grist, temperature, etc). I recently had what turned out to be a stuck fermentation that the yeast failed to chew off the last several points of gravity. Hydrometer was stable for 3-4 days at the end of a month long primary of a medium gravity stout. I primed thinking it was done and all bottles are overcarbed significantly.

It looks like you may be done, so follow the advice of the others above. If you choose to brew this again, try fermenting at 60-62F with this yeast. I put the fermenter in a large pail of water to help (with ice if necessary) to keep the temperature constant within this range. After a week I moved it out of the pail and let it climb to warmer temperatures. Bottled it by week 2 with your level of attenuation. I really enjoyed my simple hefeweizen, good balance of noticeable banana and clove, with neither overwhelming each other, or the beer.

This is good advice on the manipulation of esters in this yeast, however I respectfully disagree with 60-62F. I ferment most of my 3068 Hefes in the low 70 range. I've gone as high at 76F. I love banana bombs and this does it. The only time I go as low as 60-64F is with Dunkelweizens where I feel the balance is more necessary. YMMV, but brew what you like to your taste- if you like the banana bomb rock it at 74F if you like clove go with 60F. Hefes are great in the homebrewing world they are ALMOST like instant gratification with how fast they are ready to drink. I am usually drinking them within 15-20 days of brewing- heck I even rack them out from under the yeast/krausen chunks that seem to float on forever.

Back