Thoughts on Recipe for First All Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipper

Reaction score
Here is a BYO Clone Recipe for an African Amber that I want to do for my first all grain. Any Thoughts?

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/1/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Jeff Holliman
Boil Size: 6.84 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Hop's in Da Sack Brewery(15.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs 7.9 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 79.23 %
1 lbs 0.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 9.75 %
12.6 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.36 %
6.3 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.65 %
0.85 oz Centennial [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 35.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.63 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (2 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.88 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 38.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 13.0 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 10.72 lb
Sparge Water: 4.95 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 13.40 qt of water at 170.6 F 155.0 F

It looks like a decent recipe for your first AG. You have a lot of crystal malt in there so you might reduce that a bit. Maybe substitute some Munich for the Crystal? Why do you have odd amounts for each ingredient? Did you scale the recipe up or down? I always try to simplify the measurements in my recipes. For instance instead of 1 Lb 7oz. I will change it to 1 1/2 pounds. The 1 oz. of grain won't make a big difference in your beer.That is strictly my preference though.

RichBrewer said:
It looks like a decent recipe for your first AG. You have a lot of crystal malt in there so you might reduce that a bit. Maybe substitute some Munich for the Crystal? Why do you have odd amounts for each ingredient? Did you scale the recipe up or down? I always try to simplify the measurements in my recipes. For instance instead of 1 Lb 7oz. I will change it to 1 1/2 pounds. The 1 oz. of grain won't make a big difference in your beer.That is strictly my preference though.

Thanks Rich! I just took the recipe out of BYO 150 Clones issue. I believe there was an option in Beersmith that would automatically round up the quantities. This is an awesome beer and I wanted to keep it as close as possible.

I would definately round the grain weights to the nearest measurable size. It's kind weird for some of those weights. Generally speaking the first all grain batch is not the most efficient and that recipe is set to 75% so you may want to have some DME on hand to hit the OG just in case. I have never used more than a pound of Cyrstal malt in my beers but BYO generally knows what they are doing.

Good Luck, is this Mac and Jack's African Amber?

Flipper said:
Thanks Rich! I just took the recipe out of BYO 150 Clones issue. I believe there was an option in Beersmith that would automatically round up the quantities. This is an awesome beer and I wanted to keep it as close as possible.
In that case I'd say round the numbers up and brew it!:mug:
Let us know how it goes.

Blender said:
I would definately round the grain weights to the nearest measurable size. It's kind weird for some of those weights. Generally speaking the first all grain batch is not the most efficient and that recipe is set to 75% so you may want to have some DME on hand to hit the OG just in case. I have never used more than a pound of Cyrstal malt in my beers but BYO generally knows what they are doing.

Good Luck, is this Mac and Jack's African Amber?

Yes it is a Mac and Jack's Amber! Thank Gawd I live where I can drink it regularly.....Now when I make it, I will Always have some on hand! :rockin:

Back