Bayou Classic SP10 - Regulator Setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

Reaction score
I just have a quick Q for anyone that uses the Bayou Classic SP10.

How open do you run the regulator? My last brew(first time with the SP10) I ran it at about a half turn open. The thing turns about 3 full turns to fully open, so I was just curious if this was normal. I have a really vigorous boil too, and my propane tank feels really light. I will have to get it filled to see how much it actually used.

I don't think it's important what your regulator setting is, you should be adjusting the regulator to achieve a decent boil rate. I don't use the same burner, but I run mine full blast until it reaches boil and then crank it down and fine-tune to get it just up to a good rolling boil.

Funkenjaeger said:
I don't think it's important what your regulator setting is, you should be adjusting the regulator to achieve a decent boil rate. I don't use the same burner, but I run mine full blast until it reaches boil and then crank it down and fine-tune to get it just up to a good rolling boil.

Yea, i was just wondering. The thing sounds like a jet airplane and I only had it turned a half turn, and I definitely boiled off way more than I was shooting for. It was boiling so hard I couldn't see inside the keggle...it was making too much steam. After about 40 minutes I turned it down and still had a rolling boil.

Back