Raising temp a degree a day but when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I am using a temp controlled fermentation chamber for the first time and currently fermenting a Shakespeare Stout clone at 62 degrees using Wyeast Rogue Pacman yeast.

I have heard and read over and over to raise the temp by a degree or twoi a day as fermentation begins to slow so that the yeast will continue to stay active and clean up any off flavors they produce during fermentation. I have never been one to check my gravity readings during fermentation and usually just let it do it's thing for a full 3 weeks.

But now that I have full control I am curious if there is a general day I could begin to start raising the temp for ales? Would it be fine to begin raising the temp by 1 degree a day on day 4 of fermentation and continue to raise it over 2 weeks until I hit 70 degrees?

I pitched a 2L starter last night, today the airlock is starting to show some more constant activity, so I would begin to raise the temp starting Wed morning probably, does this sound good?

Thanks

I usually let me yeast free-rise after three days of fermentation for average-strength ales.

It is something you will get a 'feel' for. Depends on how quick the ferment goes. It could be after a could of days, or a week or more.

I have a temp strip on my fermenters. I keep them in water baths, and when the fermenter temp starts to drop, I start to ramp up the water temperature.

Back