What to do? Unhappy with Amazon purchased propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekygeek

Reaction score
I've never been unhappy with any Amazon purchase, but there is a first time for everything... my Cajun Classic SQ14 showed up yesterday and it was immediately obvious that it was a repackaged unit. The box had been ripped and retaped. Inside was a mostly assembled unit, with a couple of loose pieces rolling around in the box and missing the heat shield that should have been between the burner and the frame. The missing heat shield isn't the end of the world because I was going to make a windshield that would also serve as a heat shield.

However, I'm not sure if the other problem is minor or not. The holes drilled in the propane burner are not perfect. One hole is not in the proper place (virtually missing the raised nub that it is supposed to be centered in) and another is double-drilled so you have a Figure "8" hole instead of a single hole.

I have no idea if this really matters (in practical terms) as I have not hooked it up to see how it burns. I've never returned anything to Amazon (and frankly, not sure of the procedure or if it involves any additional expense on my part). I'm not happy with getting an obviously returned and repackaged unit being sold as "new" (instead of in the Amazon "deals" section where one would expect such things).

What would you advise?

I'd return it. It is not what you ordered. Amazon is a 3rd party. They pass the order onto their supplier. Amazon has a very no nonsense policy with crap vendors and I'm sure would like to know. Contact Amazon first and let them know. Regardless if it will effect performance, it's not what you ordered. Or is it? A lot of Amazon stuff is not new and it says so when you're buying it. Was this supposed to be brand new item? What what the price and who was the vendor?

You should be able to return this with no cost to yourself. It's absolutely wrong to receive a used/returned package when you ordered/paid for new. Will you get a better part in return? Who knows, but it sounds like it couldn't get much worse.

Thanks for the quick replies!

My biggest concern was that I would have to spend more out-of-pocket to do the return. When you go through the Amazon return process, you can choose to have Amazon issue a UPS pickup (Amazon pays UPS so you don't have to). That was the best option for me. (You can also use the Post Office to return and Amazon will reimburse you up to $18, but this item is heavy enough that it would cost me more than that to return.)

Still disappointing to have to go through this and wait for the exchange item. My Dubbel ingredients should be arriving TODAY.

PS... this was not a marketplace purchase through another vendor... this was a Sold By Amazon item (NEW).

If they sold it to you as new in the listing then return it ASAP. If it was sold a second, reman or similar you may be stuck with it. Either way it sounds like junk that may be useful for a few parts to fix another one or build a sculpture.

I've used these guys for burners and parts with good luck.

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a satisfied customer.

Call them and tell them you'd like them to go ahead and ship your replacement out and setup the pickup to return the crap one. Explain this was a time sensitive delivery and that you ensured to order in time only to have things messed up by their poor packaging/quality. Worst they can say is NO. If the person you're talking to cna't do it, his manager may be able to.

Call them and tell them you'd like them to go ahead and ship your replacement out and setup the pickup to return the crap one. Explain this was a time sensitive delivery and that you ensured to order in time only to have things messed up by their poor packaging/quality. Worst they can say is NO. If the person you're talking to cna't do it, his manager may be able to.

I had the same thing happen in order to get my replacement I had to purchase a second unit and amazon refunded me my money. I was peeved but it was my only option. this was on a remote control for my home theater.

-=Jason=-

Contact Amazon because I have never had anything but great service from them. Just this week I had a note in my mailbox that the the Post Office had a package too large for my mailbox.
When I went to pick it up it was a glass carboy I ordered but, you could tell it was broken. I didn't take the package and contacted Amazon. They said to refuse it and placed an order for a replacement imediately. Only complaint I have is the slow shipping on carboys. Price is great though.

Contact Amazon because I have never had anything but great service from them. Just this week I had a note in my mailbox that the the Post Office had a package too large for my mailbox.
When I went to pick it up it was a glass carboy I ordered but, you could tell it was broken. I didn't take the package and contacted Amazon. They said to refuse it and placed an order for a replacement imediately. Only complaint I have is the slow shipping on carboys. Price is great though.

was that the $28 dollar one we have a couple threads about?

-=jason=-

For what it's worth, I bought my SQ14 from home depot and the packaging sounds very similar to yours. The box was all beat up and just a few nuts and bolts in the bottom of the box. And I've never seen an SQ14 with a heat shield.

And I've never seen an SQ14 with a heat shield.

If that's true then they are borrowing a lot of trouble by showing one in the assembly manual that comes with it. :confused:
On the SQ14 it is a big squarish plate.

In the text box for comments with "reason for return" I posted the URL to this thread. :rockin: Received the following from Amazon Customer Service:
I've placed a new order for you at no charge. Here are the details:

Order Number: xxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx
Shipping Speed: Two-Day Shipping
Estimated Delivery Date: December 10, 2010

The original order was with the free SuperSaver shipping. Hopefully the holes in the burner will be drilled right on this one.

Back