Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished at 1.017 with Nottingham, since I made sure to keep the mash temps good and high (156-57 for the whole mash). Added just a dab of lactose (2oz) at kegging for sweetness as some of the astringency was a little harsh. When I make this again, I'm going to add the very dark grains at the end of the mash to reduce astringency.

Man, don't carb this over 2.1 vols. It's real nice at the proper carbonation, and any extra fizz would destroy all the subtle notes.

I imperialized this recipe by keeping the grist the same but scaling down to 3 gallons. Actually two other differences wereI used Blackprinz instead of the black barley on recommendation of a trusted homebrewer. I also swapped out the regular oats for simpson's golden naked oats. To account for the higher sugar content I upped the IBU's to 65. The bittering was .5 oz apollo at 60 min. I think this is going to be a great beer thanks for recipe Yooper.

Thanks, Yooper! Delicious!

rJxtpZwHwvb_bHMZIV588YGKqI2t9ISfmf0kRv5TDxTG3L2rS8QD0S3osGagMtuuh2rMmbkiZhmtJerKwXBQ08mGE7ktXzcaAL9Lx7X2ULQrksr7M1akH789e6HZHYwLilpetVzADonCNYrOouLlcD2-Mx68rFCOh2Ez5BoKDKR9q8lEQSOdSuceWnC8Q-uVwcsI5wTS0Q_d1u3Olj9nnSF-5DBchPYZVlvHd-SusJbELO724AvBidovPhTLm9-DCdU_8ewXo65dhKeqCJGfJMAz-ZFRLDXEcfhpHWx4WE2VzhsyIIIAx-vvINwWFM3BAo0ws22uW59JtY7Z0j154iLwiUMD7KLWti3DOqs2mpCkGjLciL3bnOyEA1uI-pmyvtUVqQUZbs5Uoqm7CjA75siYWDUWrG5cw3XRLJUSJz2HJD6knHysZCWmC5aW9mOLHTMzmBnSIifjAuhNg_yH3CpauIp1lTBzENpJ2hflGOwzlfd94xPrOO27ebpfBuQTFmY0tsz9Vxg5CWYRzVLyaBwCuaLrvRrMX0G2Myd9L8l132YxZW_GwSsvje5qJdlyaX0G=w1118-h1490-no

Still needs a bit more carbonation, but the flavor and mouthfeel are right on! :)

Rich

Hmmm, I think it's done.....that's ok. Est. FG was 1.015, and given I mashed a couple points lower than my target, I'll be fine with 1.018. Will transfer to keg this weekend and give it 2-3 more weeks to age before carbonating. Can't wait!

bTq5_JFSyy79RGjFRS171kw6Frchg02zMxjN8AhPazhym-RzXEnrtAo4FMAcVPzFuwy2eTODfX6AzkQVNJcs3w4Q_9EaTwOqBLL3bAPou-7ctodui7mQia9ERSqkDRKW4QTJ2yiRQ6hh9o0ZqQwQSBGPU-LfSQ-pNCKvB-aUa60TRwxxSOdsCnvOnKBOybr7RUV_Uti0_COa8rklPXZBqewF35JRdRHztlJ8YadzxkjKY0R-8da-hY1zT56HRep7icB3v0TKLtJH6pk4WHgyC6TDJzaBe1d3g8AlSX-B4hHH7Vq1ZI6R2i5GxYf9raWfSoaqHoa-nf1I6ZX9mGREXwa27Q4cjm8_3VhKcAaeSC4fetpZo18r_iWn_yRXRx3pGc7rbzw5kt3XPremjM0b_4cDOzXcGkqosj1Pc4V-utxS6PL-cDmIi-qWFUA_d110kZYXT48ly-Sx9zkRBX4HU_hVi-gkJctoeh6Ezui-QFg9EEc48zPKHNZNBO_qVnc_JufA8QHajFugHQR3gm7M1K-x9BCwfTzLnz0d1lbiisqcJ26P8s0-DcnBB-TzlwlV4VB8=w540-h719-no

It may just be the picture, but in my reading you're at 1.020 there, not 18. You should read the miniscus, this sample is turning upwards. Google meniscus water. Btw- if you want to harvest yeast, you're going to love the Chronical! It's the best part about the Chronical.

It may just be the picture, but in my reading you're at 1.020 there, not 18. You should read the miniscus, this sample is turning upwards. Google meniscus water. Btw- if you want to harvest yeast, you're going to love the Chronical! It's the best part about the Chronical.

There's a bit of optical illusion with the angle of the shot, as well as the clip on macro lens I was using on my iPhone. I didn't learn much in high school chem, but I did learn about the meniscus (and later, got to learn about the one in my knee, too.....) :)

However, I can proudly say that whatever that FG was, the beer in the glass is mighty tasty! :)

R

And THAT my friend is all that matters!! I read this thread because I'm trying to decide on this brew or an IPA for my Saturday brew. I haven't tried this one yet but it seems great, and yet the warm weather is coming. Ah decisions!

And THAT my friend is all that matters!! I read this thread because I'm trying to decide on this brew or an IPA for my Saturday brew. I haven't tried this one yet but it seems great, and yet the warm weather is coming. Ah decisions!

I see your dilemma, and had the same. I solved it by brewing an IPA as my next brew (fermenting now.) :)

R

I imperialized this recipe by keeping the grist the same but scaling down to 3 gallons. Actually two other differences wereI used Blackprinz instead of the black barley on recommendation of a trusted homebrewer. I also swapped out the regular oats for simpson's golden naked oats. To account for the higher sugar content I upped the IBU's to 65. The bittering was .5 oz apollo at 60 min. I think this is going to be a great beer thanks for recipe Yooper.

Imperialized..great word. I've used Blackprinz once in a Black IPA and very much regretted it. Blackprinz is smoother and doesn't give much, if any roasted flavors. I would think that you want this oatmeal stout to have that roasty character and I just can't see how substituting for Blackprinz will result in the desired beer. For me personally it would be much too sweet and unbalanced, especially for the style. If anything, i would have substituted the black for regular roasted barlet. Maybe you will like it though...to each their own.

Imperialized..great word. I've used Blackprinz once in a Black IPA and very much regretted it. Blackprinz is smoother and doesn't give much, if any roasted flavors. I would think that you want this oatmeal stout to have that roasty character and I just can't see how substituting for Blackprinz will result in the desired beer. For me personally it would be much too sweet and unbalanced, especially for the style. If anything, i would have substituted the black for regular roasted barlet. Maybe you will like it though...to each their own.

Yeah man I was telling him the same thing but he said he blackprinz was a smoother less harsh roast flavor compared to the black barley. I thought I should stick to what Yooper had but he was convincing in his argument so I listened to him. We shall see how it turna out hopefullt notctoo swert like youre describing

Yeah man I was telling him the same thing but he said he blackprinz was a smoother less harsh roast flavor compared to the black barley. I thought I should stick to what Yooper had but he was convincing in his argument so I listened to him. We shall see how it turna out hopefullt notctoo swert like youre describing

I'm sure it will still be good. As a fellow brewer once told me, even if it's just drinkable, you still made beer from seed and that's damn impressive.

And there you have it @Yooper !
I was perhaps one of the first that asked for an Imperial version of this recipe and now there are others that are requesting it as well. So when will the commoners finally get to sample the first run from a XX batch of Imperial Yooper Oatmeal Stout?!

Brewed this recipe as my first stout attempt this past Saturday.

Biab, and toasted half the oats. Forgot to get the 2oz chocolate malt though, I hope its roasty enough.

Hit 1.052 on the nose, pitched 1L WLP013 London Ale, fermenting away.

Looking forward to tasting this!

Update; healthy pitch of wlp013 brought this down to 1.016 in 3 days! Also I mashed a bit high, so I'm pleased so far with that result. Sample tasted great, though the color is more dark brown then stout black, which is disappointing. Does color darken once the yeast flocc out, or generally stay the same?

So I've brewed this three times now and hot-damn is it good! These kegs just keep on kickin. I am entering it into the Orange County Fair Homebrew Comp next week so crossing my fingers. I think its a bit too bitter (untreated hard water) but we shall see.

For my next brew, I was thinking about splitting the batch and experimenting. What have you guys added to this that has turned out amazing? Coffee, coconut, etc. Any ideas are much appreciated!

Trying to make an imperial version of this so i played around with the IBU's, ABV, and SRM in Beersmith and came up with the following recipe. But being a noob, I'm not sure how well everything would flow together or if it would turn into a giant mess. I'm trying to achieve a similar flavor profile as yoopers, but with a higher abv and viscosity (motor oil chewy). keep in mind this is for a 3 gallon batch Thanks!

gqQS2u5.png

Trying to make an imperial version of this so i played around with the IBU's, ABV, and SRM in Beersmith and came up with the following recipe. But being a noob, I'm not sure how well everything would flow together or if it would turn into a giant mess. I'm trying to achieve a similar flavor profile as yoopers, but with a higher abv and viscosity (motor oil chewy). keep in mind this is for a 3 gallon batch Thanks!

gqQS2u5.png

How can you boil down over 4 gals of wort with a 60min boil.

How can you boil down over 4 gals of wort with a 60min boil.

Whoops that was a typo from previous 5 gallon batch. With a light boil I'll lose about 1.25gal/he so I'll aim for 4.5ish gallon pre-boil cause I'll lose about a half gallon in trub/hop sediment at the bottom of the kettle

GE CF6 burner for the boil kettle

Setup is 12gallon EBIAB with 5500W element. At 100% i can only boil down about 2-2.5 gal/hr :(

Id be scared to see what the boil looks like if your boiling off 4 gallons an hour :rockin:

Can someone recommend a dry yeast substitute for this recipe? Would S-05/04 or notty be potentially good swaps for the 1335?

It depends on how you want the finished beer to turn out. S04 will leave a tad more sweetness compared to notty. I'm a huge notty fan so I'd probably use that.

I think Notty will dry this beer out too much. Some residual sweetness goes a long way with the chocolate and roast flavors of the beer.

If it were me and i had to pitch dry yeast i'd make it US-05.

I brewed this as per the OP including water profile, mash temp etc. many times and love this beer when I'm in the mood. 1.051og/1.016fg. I entered it into the Hangar 24 homebrew contest and here are some of the comments.
Scores: 24/27. Two judges were "recognized".
Aroma: Moderate dark brown toasty crust-low floral hop aroma. No obvious fermentation characteristics.
Dark fruit, sweet malty grains, chocolate.
Appearance: 3/3
Flavor: low toasted brown bread-no obvious hop flavor-finishes very clean.
Moderate roasty flavor-somewhat restrained for a stout...more towards a porter style.
Mouthfeel: light/medium body- low astringency.
Smooth-balanced.
Overall: where did the flavor go? The aroma promising. A stout needs more everything. Its supposed to be a big beer. Complex your malt bill.
Enter as a Porter next time, it misses as a stout but I do like the beer...very nicely balanced beer...easy drinking. Not to style.
Entered as 20b American stout.

Not criticizing the recipe, i love this beer, but more wondering where I went wrong. The beer was 3 months old when judged.

I brewed this as per the OP including water profile, mash temp etc. many times and love this beer when I'm in the mood. 1.051og/1.016fg. I entered it into the Hangar 24 homebrew contest and here are some of the comments.
Aroma: Moderate dark brown toasty crust-low floral hop aroma. No obvious fermentation characteristics.
Moderate roasty flavor-somewhat restrained for a stout...more towards a porter style.
Smooth-balanced.
Overall: where did the flavor go? The aroma promising. A stout needs more everything. Its supposed to be a big beer. Complex your malt bill.
Enter as a Porter next time, it misses as a stout but I do like the beer...very nicely balanced beer...easy drinking. Not to style.

Not criticizing the recipe, i love this beer, but more wondering where I went wrong. The beer was 3 months old when judged.

Considering this is an oatmeal stout, and brewed with mostly British ingredients and yeast. I would lean towards entering it into the 16B category. The American stout tenst to be alot hoppier and rosty than the British oatmeal versions...

As a side note don't necessarily listen to a judge that offers feedback on change categories without expressing the real whys...

Considering this is an oatmeal stout, and brewed with mostly British ingredients and yeast. I would lean towards entering it into the 16B category. The American stout tenst to be alot hoppier and rosty than the British oatmeal versions...

As a side note don't necessarily listen to a judge that offers feedback on change categories without expressing the real whys...

You are absolutely right. Now I feel like a dumb A$$. Thanks for pointing out the category mistake...

Brewed this last Saturday. It just makes it into imperial territory. The sample tasted great.

I'm looking to do something very similar to this, basically increasing everything by 50%. Now I'm curious, why didn't you increase the hops? I was thinking to keep a similar flavor profile, the IBUs would need to be increased to about 49 with an SG of 1.080 to keep the IBU/SG ratio similar to the original recipe. (original recipe 32/52 = .615, new recipe 49/80 = .613)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Smooth-balanced.

I'm a certified BJCP judge. An oatmeal stout isn't a "big beer", so it must be a category issue. 16B is the category.

16B. Oatmeal Stout Overall Impression: A very dark, full-bodied, roasty, malty ale with a complementary oatmeal flavor. The sweetness, balance, and oatmeal impression can vary considerably. Aroma: Mild roasted grain aromas, generally with a coffeelike character. A light malty sweetness can suggest a coffeeand-cream impression. Fruitiness should be low to mediumhigh. Diacetyl medium-low to none. Hop aroma medium-low to none, earthy or floral. A light grainy-nutty oatmeal aroma is optional.

Appearance: Medium brown to black in color. Thick, creamy, persistent tan- to brown-colored head. Can be opaque (if not, it should be clear).

Flavor: Similar to the aroma, with a mild roasted coffee to coffee-and-cream flavor, and low to moderately-high fruitiness. Oats and dark roasted grains provide some flavor complexity; the oats can add a nutty, grainy or earthy flavor. Dark grains can combine with malt sweetness to give the impression of milk chocolate or coffee with cream. Medium hop bitterness with the balance toward malt. Medium-sweet to medium-dry finish. Diacetyl medium-low to none. Hop flavor medium-low to none, typically earthy or floral.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full to full body, with a smooth, silky, velvety, sometimes an almost oily slickness from the oatmeal. Creamy. Medium to medium-high carbonation.

Comments: Generally between Sweet and Irish Stouts in sweetness. Variations exist, from fairly sweet to quite dry, as well as English and American versions (American versions tend to be more hoppy, less sweet, and less fruity). The level of bitterness also varies, as does the oatmeal impression. Light use of oatmeal may give a certain silkiness of body and richness of flavor, while heavy use of oatmeal can be fairly intense in flavor with an almost oily mouthfeel, dryish finish, and slight grainy astringency. When judging, allow for differences in interpretation.

History: A variant of nourishing or invalid stouts of the late 1800s using oatmeal in the grist, similar to the development of sweet stout that used lactose. An original Scottish version used a significant amount of oat malt. Later went through a shady phase where some English brewers would throw a handful of oats into their parti-gyled stouts in order to legally produce a ‘healthy’ Oatmeal Stout for marketing purposes. Most popular in England between the World Wars, was revived in the craft beer era for export, which helped lead to its adoption as a popular modern American craft beer style that uses a noticeable (not symbolic) quantity of oats. Characteristic Ingredients: Pale, caramel and dark roasted malts (often chocolate) and grains. Oatmeal or malted oats (520% or more) used to enhance fullness of body and complexity of flavor. Hops primarily for bittering. Can use brewing sugars or syrups. English ale yeast. Style Comparison: Most are like a cross between an Irish Extra Stout and a Sweet Stout with oatmeal added. Several variations exist, with the sweeter versions more like a Sweet Stout with oatmeal instead of lactose, and the drier versions more like a more nutty, flavorful Irish Extra Stout. Both tend to emphasize the body and mouthfeel.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.045 – 1.065
IBUs: 25 – 40
FG: 1.010 – 1.018 SRM: 22 – 40
ABV: 4.2 – 5.9%
Commercial Examples: Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, Broughton Scottish Oatmeal Stout, Figueroa Mountain Stagecoach Stout, St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Young's Oatmeal Stout Tags

Thanks Yooper, That describes it almost spot on... Very good beer, thanks for sharing the recipe!

You are absolutely right. Now I feel like a dumb A$$. Thanks for pointing out the category mistake...

Don't feel bad. I literally just did the same exact thing. I haven't gotten my scorecards mailed yet but I have a feeling they are going to look almost identical to yours. Lesson learned!!

Pole,
I pretty much left the hops alone because I wanted something heavy on the malt and not too bitter. I brewed a bitter chocolate imperial oatmeal stout the next day and planned to combine both batches for my Christmas stout. I was worried the extra hops and bitter chocolate might clash. As it happened, I ended up combining only about half of each batch once they fermented, so I ended up with three different stouts. Yooper's tastes similar to Anderson Valley's Barney Flats and the Chocolate tastes similar to the Stone Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Stout. The combo of the two is awesome and should be more awesomer (?) by Christmas.

Smooth-balanced.

Like you I experienced low scores on beers entered in competitions. Even though I really enjoyed the beers. (I brewed similar beers in consecutive years) the socres were over the top low (8-9 out of 50)
We spoke about scoring and stuff at our Club meet not long after, and while it can be disappointing and dis-hearteningto receive below average scores, even though you enjoy the beer.

Just remember a tasting or a scoring is completely subjective. different people have different palates, and some judges are harsher than others.

Its not to take away from any judges scoring or their abilities to taste numerous thing we can't. but just to say, enjoy the beer as it is, and remember Its not about what a judge likes - its about your tastes (and probably your friends)

Since then, (these scorers were 2-3 year ago) sincethen I've thrown out the style book, and brewed to my own tastes, I've squeezed them into the closest styles I reckon I could fit them into and had success.

Latest posts

Back