5.5% abv bourbon oak stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
I have some mediim toast french oak cubes I've had soaking in bourbon for almost a year. I want to use them in an apx 5.5% abv stout. Does anyone know if the bourbon oak cubes will be too assertive for a stout of this
Strength? I like bourbon oak stouts but prefer beers at a more sessionable strength.

A local brewpub does a lower ABV stout in bourbon barrels, works pretty well. I'd use less than you might in a bigger beer, say ~1 oz of cubes. Taste it every few weeks until the flavor is where you want it. You can also add a bit of extra bourbon to up the flavor if desired. Good luck.

I know exactly how you feel. It seems like the local commercial BBS offerings are around 10% ABV. I like them, but I'd like to be able to have a few and that just aint happening with that much alcohol.

For what its worth, I did a bourbon oaked oktoberfest very similar to what you mention in your first post. I soaked the cubes (whatever 1 bag turned out to be, I think 2.5oz) in good bourbon for 1 week. I poured the bourbon off the cubes and put the cubes in the keg with the oktoberfest. The result is that you get a lot of vanilla from the oak and a presence from the bourbon, not a kick in the face. I think this approach would work well with a stout, and I plan on doing it myself next time I get around to brewing a stout.

Back