Small batch in a larger fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemnitz

Reaction score
I was wondering if there would be any ill effect (i.e. oxidation) by fermenting a 3 gallon batch of IIPA in a fermenter bucket designed for a 5 gallon batch. Would it turn out alright? Also, with all of that extra headspace, would I still need a blow-off tube? I'm sure this is a naive question, but I couldn't find an answer by searching. Thank you.

A blow off tube never hurts the beer, but in your case, its probably not a bad thing.

the only time you need to be concerned about headspace is if your beer is in a secondary. The offgassing co2 from fermentation is heavier than oxygen and it will drive all of it off. No oxygen=no risk of oxidation

I do it for test batches, because I'm cheap and don't want to buy a 3 gal carboy, and haven't had a problem. The extra headspace is great for shaking the carboy prior to pitching. Once ferm starts the CO2 has driven off the oxygen from what I can tell. Just my opinion

Back