Can I fry chicken wings in my turkey fryer? Any one have any recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought about these all week long, HAD to have wings for dinner tonight and I wanted to try the Sweet Baby Ray's Wing Sauce.

DSC00218.JPG

Standard RedHot mix of 1/2 cup RedHot, 1/3 cup butter, and 1tsp minced garlic sauted in the butter.

RedHot mix on the left, SBR Sauce on right.

DSC00219.JPG

Outcome: RedHot mix has a better flavor, but as a thinner sauce, isn't is hot as the SBR. Ray's is very good and worth picking up if you are making a mess of wings. I'll use the Rays for a quick dinner. Makes a great dipping sauce for Chicken Tenders as well.

YUM! :mug:

Thought about these all week long, HAD to have wings for dinner tonight and I wanted to try the Sweet Baby Ray's Wing Sauce.

DSC00218.JPG

Standard RedHot mix of 1/2 cup RedHot, 1/3 cup butter, and 1tsp minced garlic sauted in the butter.

DSC00219.JPG

Outcome: RedHot mix has a better flavor, but as a thinner sauce, isn't is hot as the SBR. Ray's is very good and worth picking up if you are making a mess of wings. I'll use the Rays for a quick dinner. Makes a great dipping sauce for Chicken Tenders as well.

I've never seen that sauce before. I'll have to look next time I go to the store. Fried or baked?

You guys suck...

I am about to go to GFS and get a couple gallons of sauce and sacks of wings. Id love to wash these down with some of my new IAPA.

I also agree with some, NO BREADING, just crispy skin.

You guys suck...

I am about to go to GFS and get a couple gallons of sauce and sacks of wings. Id love to wash these down with some of my new IAPA.

I also agree with some, NO BREADING, just crispy skin.
Gotta wash them down with Genny Cream Ale if you're from Buffalo. That or Labatts. It's just the way it is...

DSC00218.JPG

DSC00219.JPG

Cut your butter down to 1 tbls, and your sauce will stick MUCH better and be a bit thicker. Also, I use garlic powder instead of real garlic. That seems to help the "stick factor" a bit.

I prefer *gasp* granulated garlic or garlic powder over fresh too...but just because the flavor is a little different and I prefer it in wing sauce.

I just saw the Alton Brown wing episode again:
Put wings in a single layer on a veggie steamer spread in a SS bowl and set in fridge uncovered to dry out the skin.
Fabricate a 3-tiered steamer from 3 veggie steamers and all-thread rod. LOL!
Steam the wings for 20 minutes in a pot with an inch or two of simmering water and the 3-tiered steamer.
Spread steamed wings on wire racks placed in sheet pans.
Cool wings on sheet pans in fridge (you do have room for multiple sheet pans in your fridge right?)
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Cook wings on racks/sheet pans for 20 minutes.
Turn each wing over. LOL!
Cook wings for another 20 minutes.

Even if they come out good that's just WAAAAYYYY too much work

I just fry them for 12 minutes. Done.

EDIT: I don't really have a sauce that I MUST have for wings. I have Crystal right now and it's good. I always add a little Tabasco too.

I like mine without feathers.

I got wings on the Ocean City MD boardwalk to take back to the hotel to have with a few beers a few years ago. I was so grossed out when I opened the box. They could have flown away. I couldn't bring myself to eat them at that point. The feathers were wet from sauce but still white and "featherlike". How could you sell something like that.

I got wings on the Ocean City MD boardwalk to take back to the hotel to have with a few beers a few years ago. I was so grossed out when I opened the box. They could have flown away. I couldn't bring myself to eat them at that point. The feathers were wet from sauce but still white and "featherlike". How could you sell something like that.

They must've been fresh from the Eastern Shore. :D

Feathers? That's insane! hahahahaha that's funny. It must have been a employee going postal. Probably quit right after he sold you that box of wings.

Feathers? That's insane! hahahahaha that's funny. It must have been a employee going postal. Probably quit right after he sold you that box of wings.

Don't know if she prepared them but it was a young girl around HS/college age that sold them to me. I was about to go back down there and show them to her but was too tired from walking all day and just wanted to drink beer. I think I ordered a burger from room service. No way they could serve them like that for long, you would think anyway.

I spend a lot of time in OC, MD. Do you remember where they were from?

Sorry no. I went down for something different to do on vacation and that was over 5 years ago. I have only been there like 3 times my whole life. I can say we stayed at the Carnival Hotel on the beach (with the ice skating rink), so it was by there and on the boardwalk. Doesn't help much I know.

I have some frozen chicken wings. Whats the best way do defrost them? I know I can put them in the refrigerator, but they wont be ready for another day. I can microwave them, but I'm afraid to cook them.

Any ideas?

The frozen wings can go right into the oven at 400*F for 35 - 45 minutes. That's what the Tyson bag says, anyway.

The frozen wings can go right into the oven at 400*F for 35 - 45 minutes. That's what the Tyson bag says, anyway.

If you fry them they MUST BE COMPLETLY THAWED!!!!!!!! If you bake or steam them just toss them in. If you do need them thawed stick them in a ziplock back and submerge under slowly running COOL water. Should be thaw in 45 minutes(ish).

I have some frozen chicken wings. Whats the best way do defrost them? I know I can put them in the refrigerator, but they wont be ready for another day. I can microwave them, but I'm afraid to cook them.

Any ideas?

Put them in a bowl of water. I use warm water and change the water as it cools. Some would say that is not "safe" and you need to defrost in cold water, but if you are going to cook them right away it should be fine. I also fry them until crispy. I have done it that way for years and never got sick once. Takes 1-2 hours depending on how often you change the water.

If you fry them they MUST BE COMPLETLY THAWED!!!!!!!! If you bake or steam them just toss them in. If you do need them thawed stick them in a ziplock back and submerge under slowly running COOL water. Should be thaw in 45 minutes(ish).

Yah... I said oven. :confused:

Frozen stuff in a household fryer is bad....

Put them in a bowl of water. I use warm water and change the water as it cools. Some would say that is not "safe" and you need to defrost in cold water, but if you are going to cook them right away it should be fine. I also fry them until crispy. I have done it that way for years and never got sick once. Takes 1-2 hours depending on how often you change the water.

I use cold water not because of safety but because using warm or hot changes the texture because it actually starts to cook the food.

Yah... I said oven. :confused:

Frozen stuff in a household fryer is bad....

I know you said oven, I wasn't correcting you just adding on to it. Sorry if you thought I was correcting you. :mug:

I just didn't want someone to read yours and think hey if I can do it in an oven I can just toss them in the fryer. Last thing we need is a thread that starts "I have 3rd degree burns and in the hospital because of that damn ******* MMB" :D :D

I just cooked some Tyson wings up in the oven. After an hour I took them out and soaked each one with Franks, lolol. I was hungry and took the easy way out.........not bad.

I use cold water not because of safety but because using warm or hot changes the texture because it actually starts to cook the food.

I know you said oven, I wasn't correcting you just adding on to it. Sorry if you thought I was correcting you. :mug:

I just didn't want someone to read yours and think hey if I can do it in an oven I can just toss them in the fryer. Last thing we need is a thread that starts "I have 3rd degree burns and in the hospital because of that damn ******* MMB" :D :D

Never had that happen, I am just using warm water to thaw frozen wings. The end result is usually just cold defrosted wings and not cooked whatsoever. I dry them off before frying.

Never had that happen, I am just using warm water to thaw frozen wings. The end result is usually just cold defrosted wings and not cooked whatsoever. I dry them off before frying.

It is unsanitary to thaw frozen meat under warm running water. When you use this method, the surface of the food reaches the danger zone (between 40 and 140 degrees) while the insides stay frozen. Are you going to get sick using this method? Probably not. However, a health inspector would dock you points if you used this method at a restaurant. It is definitely not "best practice".

The two best methods for thawing meat, in order, are 1) thaw in a refrigerator environment. I.e. above freezing, but below 40 degrees. This method takes quite a while. Usually at least 24 hours. 48 is better. Or 2) the microwave. The microwave is actually a very safe way to defrost food, and is quite fast. However, if you don't pay close attention you can end up cooking the edges of the food and that is just nasty.

I agree with cubbies and would also add that all that water in contact with the meat is'nt helping the flavor or texture. I don't have a scientific explanation...just that I know from experience that thawing meat by submersing it in water doesn't yield as good a product as thawing it 'correctly'. Seems you're basically 'unbrining' it.

And aside from the fridge or the microwave...the next best thing imo is to put them in a ziplock bag and squeeze out as much air as you can (you want the meat in contact with the bag)...then put that in a water bath with running cool/room temp water.

I agree with cubbies and would also add that all that water in contact with the meat is'nt helping the flavor or texture. I don't have a scientific explanation...just that I know from experience that thawing meat by submersing it in water doesn't yield as good a product as thawing it 'correctly'. Seems you're basically 'unbrining' it.

And aside from the fridge or the microwave...the next best thing imo is to put them in a ziplock bag and squeeze out as much air as you can (you want the meat in contact with the bag)...then put that in a water bath with running cool/room temp water.

Someone once told me a long time ago "Chicken's don't take no baths Jimmy!"

It has always stuck in my head since. I sure hope you do wash your wings before you cook them and since they are whole and not cut meat I doubt very little, if any, flavor gets washed out of the meat or skin. And I bet you couldn't tell the difference in a taste test. And since the wings don't float, they never come in contact with the air until I am ready to dry them.

Look, I know all about safe practices. But it is not for that long and I am frying the crap out of them before I eat them. I'll bet I have a better chance getting sick eating a chicken sandwich, hamburger or undercooked eggs.

And yes, if I ran a restaurant or sold to the public I would follow the guidelines. I never got sick from homemade foods, only from food sold to the general public.

Point is I am quickly defrosting them to cook. I would never defrost them that way and then store them for cooking later. I have been doing it this way for 30 years now.

And I bet you couldn't tell the difference in a taste test.
I think I could but it's easy enough to test...and I happen to have a unopened bag of frozen wings at home...so I'll test it. I'll report back after I do. I know it seems impossible to not be biased but I'll try...I'm ultimately after the truth...and I take wings seriously.:)

I think I could but it's easy enough to test...and I happen to have a unopened bag of frozen wings at home...so I'll test it. I'll report back after I do. I know it seems impossible to not be biased but I'll try...I'm ultimately after the truth...and I take wings seriously.:)

Oh no don't do it, you will get sick! :D

No I won't.:) You were right about it usually being OK to do it and not get sick...but as mentioned a health inspector in a restaurant wouldn't see it that way. As long as they all get fully cooked soon...no worries. It's the quality of the final product that I'm more worried about.

No I won't.:) You were right about it usually being OK to do it and not get sick...but as mentioned a health inspector in a restaurant wouldn't see it that way. As long as they all get fully cooked soon...no worries. It's the quality of the final product that I'm more worried about.

I make my own hot sauces. I have several from differnet peppers we grow or flavor and hottness depending on our mood. I make several gallons and store it for winter use. To me that is where the real flavor is. A good sauce is what makes or kills good wings, that and doneness. I like them crispy them smother them is a good hot sauce. No slappy skin for me. No breading!

I'll keep an eye out for your results.

Take care.

I have mine in a plastic bag so they arent actually getting wet or watter logged at all.

I make my own hot sauces. I have several from differnet peppers we grow or flavor and hottness depending on our mood. I make several gallons and store it for winter use. To me that is where the real flavor is. A good sauce is what makes or kills good wings, that and doneness. I like them crispy them smother them is a good hot sauce. No slappy skin for me. No breading!

I'll keep an eye out for your results.

Take care.

I have done this once or twice before. Whats your recipe?

I have mine in a plastic bag so they arent actually getting wet or watter logged at all.

I have done this once or twice before. Whats your recipe?

I don't really follow a recipe. I just wait until I have enough ripe peppers to make it worth doing, usually enough to fill at least 2 big pots. I cut the peppers up (seeds and all) in fairly good size chunks, just to make them easier to cook down. Oh yeah, I cook them down. Some people make sauces that are "fresh" but to me that takes more time and is more like salsa.
So once in the pot I add some vinegar so they don't stick or burn and also for added liquid as peppers don’t have much. I also add some salt at this time. After about a half hour to an hour they have turned to a mush and I add more vinegar as needed to keep it liquid.
At this point I take a hand held blender and puree all the peppers. I then strain the liquid into another pot using a basket strainer and a ladle. I ladle in a few scoops and use the ladle to work out and separate the pulp and seeds through the strainer. This done right takes about 30 seconds each small batch with little pulp to throw away. Make sure you use a fine but large WIRE strainer.
Once all the pulp is removed and everything is back into pots I add more vinegar and salt to taste and bring back to a boil and then cook for another 15 minutes or so on medium heat stirring so it won't stick or boil over.
At this point I do one of two things depending on how patient I am. I either can it right then and there while it is still hot or I let it cool and sit overnight for the flavors to blend more. Then the next day I boil again and then can. This aging makes a better sauce.
That is about it. I am not big on recipes, I mean it's just hot sauce and I am not selling it so no big deal if one batch is a bit different from the other. I also noticed the older the peppers the better the flavor. Last year we had so many ripe peppers I couldn't keep up with them and they got real deep red and soft and "chewy" on the plants. I used them anyway and they made the best sauce yet with the reddest color yet.
Last year I think we counted about 80 hot peppers plants of 5 types.

I've done it lots of times. The wings don't come out as good. They tend to be dryer. Also, the oil splatters a lot more because of the crystalline ice. In a pinch it does work though!

I've done it lots of times. The wings don't come out as good. They tend to be dryer. Also, the oil splatters a lot more because of the crystalline ice. In a pinch it does work though!

I guess I am going to have to do a taste test myself then. My wings never come out dry unless I overcook them. They come out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside and they are tasty. I mean, the wings are frozen until they are defrosted then I cook them, so how much could plain water change them for that short time they are in the water not frozen? The water does get a scum film on top so actually I am glad I soak them first. Being in the water is great too for finding feathers that got missed at the processing plant. In the water they float and are much more visable.

I don't know what you mean by crystalline ice, shouldn't be any ice if they are defrosted.

I mean, the wings are frozen until they are defrosted then I cook them, so how much could plain water change them for that short time they are in the water not frozen?
It may be one of those things like homebrew. You can break a bunch of rules but the brew still turns out OK...not optimal...but still purty darn good.

Like I said earlier about oven-cooked or grill-cooked wings: They're chicken wings...it's almost hard to screw them up so hard that they taste bad...they'll taste at least decent unless you totally screw them up...but are they optimal?

I guess now that I think about it making wings is usually not a preplanned thing, more like "How about some wings?" So for me thawing them in advance really wouldn't work. I just grab a bag from the freezer and soon we are eating wings.

Like with anything its how YOU like them that counts. Years ago a guy brought in some wings he made for a pot luck thing. He bragged about them for days. I grabbed a couple and when I bit into one and it was almost like eating a raw wing. Skin was all rubbery; I almost couldn't eat them it was grossing me out so much.

Back