have you ever looked closely at your airlocks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...I hadn't until i bought two new ones, and something caught my eye on the top one:

airlock.jpg

glad I looked...a hobby knife did the trick; but it never occurred to me before to check and see that all my airlocks could actually pass air!

...I hadn't until i bought two new ones, and something caught my eye on the top one:

glad I looked...a hobby knife did the trick; but it never occurred to me before to check and see that all my airlocks could actually pass air!

I think they pass gas dont they?

Good Post, I learned the hard way that my air lock was blocked liked that. Ended up shooting the airlock into the air and hit the ceiling.

I can honestly say that the first thing I do to an airlock is cut that piece off.
Then the airlock gets turned into a blowoff hose airlock.

When I need to use it without the hose, I search for an hour to find the cap and tophat that I threw in a corner some where, fill it with sanitizer and its ready to go!

Very early on in my brewing I saw a thread somewhere about the mess a brewer had when those little holes clogged up. Ever since then I've cut that little end off.

Actually I hacksaw all of them off when I get them...they make for clearer blowoffs when you use my airlock blowoff tube trick.

Thats your trick?! I thought it was mine... I came up with that within 15 seconds of finding my Nut Brown Ale blowing krausen out of the airlock...

Hehe... It's funny though how people of like mind (homebrewers for instance) can come to the same "invention" completely on their own...

When I need to use it without the hose, I search for an hour to find the cap and tophat that I threw in a corner some where, fill it with sanitizer and its ready to go!

If you cant find the cap saran wrap over the top secured with a rubber band does the trick.

edit: use a tooth pick to punch some holes in it, sorry, im half way in the bag

If you cant find the cap saran wrap over the top secured with a rubber band does the trick.

edit: use a tooth pick to punch some holes in it, sorry, im half way in the bag

I'm usually good. I have a box with 10 or so caps. It's just a matter of finding the box from week to week :D

Back