Belgians - Hot conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piotr

Reaction score
I've read that some commercial belgian breweries keep their beers in 80-90F for two weeks after bottling.
Is it wotht trying in homebrew, or is it just commercial practice, to sell beer faster?

I've read that some commercial belgian breweries keep their beers in 80-90F for two weeks after bottling.
Is it wotht trying in homebrew, or is it just commercial practice, to sell beer faster?

- Westmalle bottle conditions at 70-73* (two weeks for dubbel, three for tripel)
- Orval conditions at 59* (5 weeks)
- Rochefort at 73* (ten days)
- Westvletern is the highest at 79* (Blond=8 days; 8=10 days; 12=12 days)
- In "Brew Like a Monk", it is recommened to bottle condition in a warm room (in the 70-73* range) until carbonated, then at cellaring temps (55ish) after that

Hope that helps

I can't think of any non-commercial reason why you'd want to do that. I guess it might cause bottle-carbonation to happen faster, which would be an advantage if you want a fast turnover. But even if you did carb beer in two weeks or less, it'd still be very young beer, and would probably taste better if you gave it a few more weeks. So I don't think it would be particularly worth trying in homebrewing - though I'd still be interested to hear whether it did speed up bottle-carbonation.

Kinetics plays a huge role in beer conditioning! Not only does increased temperature speed up a myriad of reactions, from what I understand it makes them different as well.

Ommegang does the same thing high 70's iirc.

So yes, along with more rapid carbonation you can expect the possibility of different flavors developing than if you left it sit cold.

Back