Storing Open Package Of Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zythos

Reaction score
Hi, I ran across a 1kg package of dried wine yeast and only plan to use a small portion of it. Can I just repackage the rest into a mason jar and store in the fridge?

My understanding, though, of those yeast packages is that you can't really save them. I thought I read that once the package is opened, and they are exposed to some air that they won't be effective any more.

Does anyone know if that's true?

My understanding, though, of those yeast packages is that you can't really save them. I thought I read that once the package is opened, and they are exposed to some air that they won't be effective any more.

I've heard the same. Although properly sealed, it would keep the air and moisture out of it and prolong the life. Maybe it's just a load of crap that the yeast manufacturers tell you.

David, you need share your storage method. Do you re-seal the bag?

I have an opened package of Nottingham in a ziplock bag in the fridge. I was planning to make a starter out of it because i'm cheap and lazy and don't wanna buy another one. I will let you know in a couple days if the starter works or not.

I bought a brick of S-189 more than a year ago and vacuum sealed it into 20 and 40 gram packs and have them stored in my hop freezer. Perfect results with using the yeast and now the BBD is expired. Still does the job it was meant to do though.

Yes, I've also baked bread with expired yeast BUT I've also had dead packs of commercial dry yeast that were not expired. Dried yeast is so cheap I always keep a few packs around just in case. I don't want to take a chance with an opened pack although 8 times out of 10 you wont have a problem.

Yes, I've also baked bread with expired yeast BUT I've also had dead packs of commercial dry yeast that were not expired. Dried yeast is so cheap I always keep a few packs around just in case. I don't want to take a chance with an opened pack although 8 times out of 10 you wont have a problem.

Most dry yeast is cheap, I agree.

But the S-189 wasn't cheap. I paid like $125 for the brick from Paddock Wood in Sask. a little more than a year ago. Too bad they stopped serving customers on-line.
I have never had a bad pack of dry yeast yet, or for that matter, a bad pack of liquid yeast.

Latest posts

Back