5 gallon glass secondary + some beer loss or 10 gallon plastic & no loss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewssuds

Reaction score
I'm making a 5 gallon batch of strawberry hefeweizen and I'm planning to add about 20 lbs of strawberries to the secondary. I have two different secondary vessels, and don't know which one I should use:

#1. 5 gallon glass carboy with airlock: this is my usual secondary; however, due to the inclusion of the fruit, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to fit the entire contents of my primary in here, so there would be some loss

#2. 10 gallon plastic food grade bucket with non-airtight lid; while my batch would easily fit in here, I've never used this type of secondary before and am concerned about having too much headspace, contamination due to the fact that it's not sealed, other disadvantages caused by plastic instead of glass

I'm leaning towards using the 10 gallon bucket, as I don't want to lose any beer. Does anyone have any advice?

you don't want to use the bucket for ALL the reasons you stated.

i would add the strawberries to the 5 gallon, fill up as far as you can, then rack the rest into a smaller container for a non-strawberry wheat. you might be surprised anyway about how much you can fit.

Back