Beginner...recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW Brew

Reaction score
Hi, first off...thanks for providing a great resource for the homebrewer. I'm a beginner with my 2nd batch of a California Imperial Ale from a Brewer's Best kit in the primary.

I'm planning my next batch. I'm doing extracts until I get a little more comfortable with the whole process. I searched online for extract recipes and found this:

NOSFARATU'S RETURN

5 gallons, extract/specialty grains

Mark diSimone
Brew Masters Ltd.
Rockville, Md.

"This beer is silky smooth and has a great chocolate character. Its 10 percent alcohol is totally hidden. It is ranked number one in our 18-year history."

Ingredients:

6.6 lbs. gold unhopped malt extract
2 lbs. orange blossom honey
1 lb. chocolate malt
1 lb. pale chocolate malt
1 lb. Vienna malt
0.5 lb. cara-pils malt
0.5 lb. crystal malt, 56° Lovibond
1 lb. Munich malt
2 oz. Perle hops (8% alpha acid), for 20 min.
1 oz. crystal hops (3.2% alpha acid), for finishing
Wyeast 1742 (Swedish ale)

Step by Step:

Steep grains in 2 gals. of 170° F water for 30 minutes. Remove grains. Add malt and honey to the grain water. Bring to a boil. Add Perle hops and boil for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 oz. crystal hops. Add to fermenter. Add water to 5 gals. When temperature is below 80° F, pitch yeast. Ferment for seven to 10 days. Place in secondary for seven to 10 days. Prime with corn sugar. Bottle at 1.014. Let age three to four weeks.

My question is...how difficult would this be for someone like me who is a beginner? I notice that some of the malt doesn't come from extracts...how would this be prepared? Would I just add them to the wort like I would the gold malt extract or are there other prep steps involved before adding?

I want a challenge, but then again I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. This seems like it could be a great brew. Any help/suggestions would be welcomed!

Thanks for your time and help!

JW

by the way, the recipe came from this article...http://***********/recipe/268.html

The non-extract grains are steeping grains. Find a cheesecloth bag or other suitable bag, and steep them in 2g at 170F for 30 mins (I would go just under 170, but to each his own).

Thanks..I'm checking out that site now...I think its going to be a huge help!

Just curious...any feedback on this recipe? anyone tried something similar?

It looks interesting, I've not had anything like it myself. That's a pretty big beer, I hope you're patient because you'll probably be looking at 6 months to a year of aging before it gets really good. :)

For your second brew I'd probably do something a bit simplier/smaller if for no other reason than it being a good idea to build up a good reserve of beer to keep you patient enough to wait for a beer that big to mature :)

Latest posts

Back