Adding Dextrose Corn Sugar to a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewskie

Reaction score
For IPAs and Pale Ales I have heard this is done to dry them out. I believe Pliny does this. Any thoughts? Do any of you do this regularly? Experiences? Thinking of doing it with a large all grain IPA this weekend.

I brewed a Pliny the Elder a few weeks ago. I was worried about the Dextros add however I had my first glass last night and it turned out great.

I think Jamil Z. recommends using sugar in an IPA to dry it out. I haven't done that, but the IPA we're currently drinking didn't really need it - it went from 1.062 to 1.010 with a 49F mash and US-05.

I used sugar in another beer we're drinking now, a Belgian Golden Strong. That is a very dry beer, 1.004.

Thanks for the responses. Did I read that right? A 49F mash? Why at that temp?

I mash my IIPA at 150 and add two pounds of corn sugar to the 10 gallon batch. OG is usually around 1.075-78 and always finishes between 1.008 and 1.0010. About 8.5-9% and really lets the hops shine.

Latest posts

Back