Storing Flaked Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
I purchased half a bag of Flaked Wheat and want to make sure I store it properly. I just zip tie my other bulk grain bags closed and store them in the basement off the ground on a shelf, but I am worried that the flaked wheat will go bad like that. Do I need to get something more air-tight for the flaked wheat?

Thanks
Alex

I'd break it down and put it in some air-tight food storage containers. Store in a cool, dry place. The basement may be too damp.

Seal it up as best you can. Vacuum sealed food storage bags with oxygen absorber tabs are a great option. You could also use food grade silicate bags or a few grains of dry rice to absorb moisture in the bag. Store cool, dry and dark if you can. Pretty much the same procedure for any grains, and it's best to use them within six months to a year.

Sounds good. I have a food saver so I will pull it out and bag it up. I would think that would last a pretty long time in a food saver bag.

One other question, some of the grain bags were plastic lined while others are just the thick paper sacks. I would think the plastic lined grain bags would do a better job of maintaining the grain over time compared to the paper grain sacks. Is this the case or should I try and vacuum pack as much of the grain as I can?

Thanks Alex

Back