New to milling myself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun_Tiger33

Reaction score
How is this crush?

Should I try and do it a little finer?

image-3846093721.jpg

image-2943600957.jpg

Looks good to me. But I find crystal (which is what I think you're showing) crushes pretty nice, i.e. it just looks and smells too good. You might want to try some pale malt/marris otter. It's a little tougher (at least for me) to pick a good setting. They all crush differently.

Will do! In that case I'll be posting a picture of some 2-row tomorrow to get an opinion on it.. I'd rather get y'all opinions on it before I crush all 15 pounds of it

What kind of mill are you using? I'm thinking of getting one soon myself...

It's called a Weston mill... It's like a corona style mill but a little cheaper.

I got it off of Quibids.com. For like $5

No. But it's weird how it works. You dont just buy something for cheap. You bid on an item and each time you bid it cost you $0.60. And there are multiple people bidding so when each bid goes in the price of the item goes up $0.01. So let's say you win an item for $2.65. And you put in 100 bids. You actually bought the item for $62.65. Because each bid cost $0.60 and the item cost $2.65

And if you don't win you flush that money down the toilet. People are more attached to the idea of winning and keep bidding and quibids sits back and takes it in.

Looks good to me. I use the Barley Crusher from Northern Brewer and have crushed finer then that with no problems. I say use it, we're not trying to make flour right? Lol

What is your method of mashing? That will help determine the crush you need or want. A false bottom will have different openings for the grain to go through than a braid so it might need a coarser crush to keep from letting too much grain through or from clogging up while BIAB can get by with much finer crush/grind since the entire bag is a filter.

i use a false bottom..

and for quibids, the way that you dont lose a bunch of money if you dont win the auction is to buy it now after you lose the auction because it takes how ever much money youve spent on bidding on the item and it puts it towards buy it now price.. so if you spent $10 on bids for an item that cost $100.. after you lose if you bought it then you would only have to pay $90 to get it..so you dont bid on anything that you dont really want to buy

I think your crush looks pretty good for using with a false bottom but looks are one thing and the use is another. Try it as it is set and see if you get a lot of grain particles through or if you have trouble draining. Stuck sparge? Loosen the setting. Not stuck but poor efficiency, tighten the gap. From here on its trial and error (tribulation??).

This is 2-row. Y'all mentioned it it's a little harder than Carastan. It looks the same to me. What do y'all think?

image-3068873018.jpg

image-2619419681.jpg

I see mostly small particles of grain (great for getting efficiency) and mostly intact hulls (good for making the filter bed). From here on it's your system that determines if it is good. Try a batch or 2, measure the efficiency you get and the time it takes to vorlauf and drain the kettle. If your efficiency is bad, crush finer until you have problems draining the mash tun.

Looks pretty good to me! should work well.

I hope that one day I too have my own mill ^3^

Did you see what kind of mill he got? I bought one like it on Ebay but I see them on Amazon for about the same price. Take a look at this one. Less than $30 delivered to your door. If you switch from extract to all grain and are successful at it you should have it paid for in less than 10 brew sessions. I find it is really nice to buy the grains when I'm in town and then be able to mill and brew when I find the time. I've even gone to buying my pale malt in 50 lb bags for the extra savings.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U5NZ4I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
No. But it's weird how it works. You dont just buy something for cheap. You bid on an item and each time you bid it cost you $0.60. And there are multiple people bidding so when each bid goes in the price of the item goes up $0.01. So let's say you win an item for $2.65. And you put in 100 bids. You actually bought the item for $62.65. Because each bid cost $0.60 and the item cost $2.65

I think this is the way the government buys things!!!

I used my corona mill for the first time this past weekend and after some adjustin, it ground just fine. I was worried due to what I've read online about it but it seemed to do a great job. Very happy with it and I got it for $35 off of eBay. I should have taken a pic of the grain after it was done.

Back