American Brown Ale Review- suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tv219

Reaction score
This week I brewed my first all-grain recipe, converted a 3 gallon cooler into a mash tun so I decided with a 3 gallon recipe,

Batch Size: 3-Gal
Boil Size: 4-Gal
Efficiency: 70 %
Mash Temp: 154°F
Mash Time: 60min.
Mash Thickness: 1.25qt./lb.
Batch Specs
OG: (1.045 - 1.06) Hit 1.054
FG: (1.01 - 1.016)
SRM: (18 - 35)
IBU: (20 - 40) 51 - I think was calculated
ABW: 6.7 %
ABV: (4.3 - 6.2 %)
Mash Water Vol: 9 qts.
Sparge Water Vol: 12 qts.
Sparge Water Temp: 167 °F

Ingredients

Mash
5 lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
.5 lbs ozs Cara-Pils/Dextrin
.5lbs Crystal Malt 40L
.5lbs Wheat Malt
4 ozs Chocolate Malt

Boil: 60min

Hops:
.5 oz Northern Brewer minutes @60 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer minutes @15
.5 oz Cascade minutes @5min
.5 oz Cascade minutes Dry Hop @ flame out

Surprisingly hit my targets, I was hopping for an OG of 1.055 and hit 1.054

My question how does this recipe look and do you think the IBU's are too high?

The grain bill is eerily similar to Janet's Brown Ale. So is the hopping schedule. JBA is one of my all-time favorites so I imagine it will be quite tasty!

It should be like a mild JBA, so more true to BJCP style guidelines. I imagine the IBU's are bang on. I'd seriously consider 1oz of Cascade for dry hop.

I considered that, and i used brewershub to put it together (it was there default recipe for the brown ale), they added the cascade as a dry hop..... :( you have me reconsidering adding it but 51 IBU's is kind of where im comfortable drinking at, harpoon brewery put a rye ale which hit 70 something so who knows maybe i will, thanks for the advice!

no prob.

keep in mind, dry hopping doesn't add any IBU's - only flavor and mostly aromatics. really sets a beer off. the IBU's are strictly the bitterness of the beer. Anyhow - im sure it will be great - i know I'd like to drink one!

Im actually considering a recipe almost identical to that for next years state fair. I think it would fair really well in the Brown Ale category.

Latest posts

Back