pine/herbal ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive been looking through alot of ipas and alot pf them have more hop additions to them.... should i split up my aroma and flavoring more like 15 10 5 flameout with a .25oz each...i must admit making my own recipe it really fun

Do not use flaked rye. It should be mashed. This is an extract beer and you have no enzymes from base malt so all that will be contributed by the rye will be starch that will affect the overall quality of your beer and be ignored by the yeast.

Also, you did not adjust the default hopville boil/batch specs... are you doing a 4 gallon boil then topping off with 2 gallons of water with 1 gallon of expected evaporation? I highly recommend a full volume boil with no top off water for an IPA.

For a 5 gallon IPA, you want about 5-7 oz. of total hops - 3 oz. won't cut it.

I like to bitter with 1/2 oz. then give another 1/2 oz. charge around 30/20... then blast it late at anywhere from 15-10-5-0 with the rest of my hops and use AT LEAST a 0.50 oz. dryhops PER gallon of beer.

i have to do this on a glass top stove so i cant to a full boil =( is there a type of rye i can use cuz i want that pepper taste. later ill make some adjustments and see where it at

I'd also consider getting rid of the 30 min addition and save those hops for later in the boil for more flavor/aroma - anywhere from 20 min or later. You can adjust your 60 min addition accordingly to keep the same bittering ratio, because around where you are now should be pretty balanced.

Only other thing I'd check out is bumping down the crystal a bit. Your malt extracts probably already have a good bit of crystal in them, and you could be running the risk of your beer being a little sweeter--unless that's what you're going for.

bobbrews said:
For a 5 gallon IPA, you want about 5-7 oz. of total hops - 3 oz. won't cut it.

I disagree. I got my first Ipa recipe from Bell's general store. It was a two hearted clone. It called for 3 oz and turned out great.

Two Hearted is an unusual IPA in that it straddles the lines of APA and IPA. One of a kind really.

Back