? on starting with very full fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHoward

Reaction score
The lady said something had to be done with the last of the blackberries in the freezer ... she needs the space.

I took the whole bunch and started with what I thought should be about 6 gallons of blackberry wine. Following through with proportions, when I got it into the fermenter, it is about 2" from the top.

I put the yeast in 4 ounces of sugary juice about 4 hours before I got the rest of the must ready, and it was happily bubbling by the time it was pitched. I stirred it in very well when I pitched it.

I expect with it that close to the top, that it is going to overflow if I leave it. So I have a big cookpot set aside and waiting so I can move some of the must to this cookpot.

The question is, when is it safe to move part of it? My concern is getting enough yeast evenly mixed into what I move so that it can continue fermenting very close to the rate that it is fermenting in the main fermenter.

My guess is 12 hours, but that's just a number I pulled out of the air (air ... yeah, that'll do) based on when I've seen previous batches really start to ferment and float the pulp.

What do you think?

I put all my mashed blackberries in a fine mesh bag. I added pectin enzyme to it though and within 5 days all the berries had broke down and after draining, only pulp was left the bag.

What kind of yeast did you use? I used Montrachet and it still got quite floculant. I did add yeast nutrient so that might have contributed.

I used Pasteur Red. I think I have the issue handled. I haven't used nylon bags.

I decided to just leave it in place until it started floating and looked like it was going to overflow. That happened at about 18 hours after pitching. I dipped off, and seem to have plenty of yeast in what was dipped off into the extra container as they both seem to float the pulp in short order after stirring.

I always think I have things planned out so well until I start executing on my plans :).

Using a mesh bag are u in a bucket or carboy. Can't figure out how u would get it thru the mouth.

Back