The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously though, I need to get switched back on to MLS since my precious Gunners are lame ducks the rest of the season...

I'm intending to make another try to get into MLS again, but I have to wait till the English season finishes. Promotion hopefuls and all that....Kinda takes up all my footy attention efforts at the moment. :(

I'm intending to make another try to get into MLS again, but I have to wait till the English season finishes. Promotion hopefuls and all that....Kinda takes up all my footy attention efforts at the moment. :(

TBH I'm a bit burnt out on footy at the moment. Another season of the same junk at Arsenal and for probably the first time I see no way out of it. I don't think Wenger knows the way out either and I really don't think the board cares. Just as long as we have the CL money they're as happy as pigs in slop..

TBH I'm a bit burnt out on footy at the moment. Another season of the same junk at Arsenal and for probably the first time I see no way out of it. I don't think Wenger knows the way out either and I really don't think the board cares. Just as long as we have the CL money they're as happy as pigs in slop..

Sorry, I was talking about my own team being promotion hopefuls. Arse can fall into a bottomless pit as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Good updates. I was watching the Vancouver-KC highlights forever waiting for the goals to start.

My bad. I should have given some warning :D But the Caps did have a ton of good chances and I enjoy watching those as well.

Not terrible? Considering the way s#ccer is treated in general by the mainstream sports media it's pretty fooking good I reckon! That's a lot of people taking the time and trouble, spending the cash and going to games while at the same time having to take a ribbing from their pals and family. :rockin:

That is a number worth taking note of given the supposed stature of the game in the US :)

Ya know, well said. I shouldn't have used "not terrible" because 17k+ is much better than not terrible. I was just really hoping to hit the 20k mark this season :rockin:

I almost spit my coffee out...

HA! And I almost spit my coffee out when I got a mental image of that going down.

UPDATE: RSL have defeated Deportivo Saprissa 3-2 on the aggregate and will face the winner of Monterrey/Cruz Azul tonight in the CCL finals. This is a pretty big deal as Salt Lake has the chance to be the first MLS representative in the FIFA Club World Cup.... and they are looking good as of late. 5-0-1 in all competitions.

Who will be playing the Chicago Fire on the 23rd of July at Soldier field...

Indeed. And the MLS All-Stars on July 27th as well (at Red Bull Stadium.... maybe they'll actually have a sell-out crowd for once. ZING!)

Did anyone else watch the Inter-Schalke highlight reel? That looks like it was an incredible game. The first goal was amazing!

Patience is a virtue. That will happen before too long. S*ccer is here to stay this time around! :)

Hear hear! The old NASL was crippled by its 16th season. MLS is thriving for its Sweet-16!

Did anyone else watch the Inter-Schalke highlight reel? That looks like it was an incredible game. The first goal was amazing!

Oooooh yeah. Much different result than I was expecting.

I actually got to watch the whole thing (gogo FoxSoccer.com). The highlights reel frankly doesn't do it justice- the first 60 minutes were incredibly exciting for both sides (the last 20... well, the last 20 were straight embarrassing for Inter).

Apparently Arsenal's trophy room was burgled (burglarized?) last week. Police are looking for two men carrying a roll of carpet.

Apparently Arsenal's trophy room was burgled (burglarized?) last week. Police are looking for two men carrying a roll of carpet.

Whew, thank goodness they left the trophies.

Tbh they were probably Spurs fans getting some carpet to roll out for when the team get back from Spain. I hear they've already rented an open top bus and made a commemorative blu-ray...

ArcaneXor said:

Even my wife was impressed with that goal.

Tbh they were probably Spurs fans getting some carpet to roll out for when the team get back from Spain. I hear they've already rented an open top bus and made a commemorative blu-ray...

I felt that burn from here.

aygov said:

There weren't any trophies. That's why they could only get away with the carpet.

Sorry, Brit humour.

Well I know that if Reno ever got an NASL or USL team (super doubt it, but it's fun to dream) I would be there for every single game. Hell, in Vegas got one I'd make the 7 hour drive every home game because Nevada would finally have a [semi-]pro soccer team. Reno does have several semi-pro teams already in baseball, arena football and Development-League basketball.... but where's the footy love? The brand-new downtown baseball park would easily convert for soccer (just look at DC United and RFK.)

Also, here's what happened last night:

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup Qualifiers:

D.C. United vs Philadelphia Union -- 2-2 (4-2 in p.s.o.)
This one wasn't streamed online sadly so couldn't watch this one.

Houston Dynamo vs Sporting Kansas City -- 0-0 (0-1 a.e.t.)
This match was all about midfield control. The passing was crisp, deliberate and also well marked by each side. Both clubs had their chances but SKC (I want to say it was C.J. Sapong) ended up squeaking away a goal in the first extratime half.

MLS Regular Season:

Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs New England Revolution -- 1-1
Wow, a very exciting match made more hectic by terrible officiating. It was very back and forth with the ref typically backing off and letting them play for most of the first half... then shyt got real. Yellows went flying like it was going out of style, and in stoppage-time Vancouver's Koffie was given a hard red for a kinda-elbow being thrown in the air.... seemed to me it was more like he was off balance and flailing slightly.

Then, in the second half DP Eric Hassli took off his long-sleeve jersey and threw it into the crowd after scoring on a PK, which resulted in a second yellow and he was thusly sent off. But here's the problem... under the long-sleeve jersey was a 100% legit short-sleeve Caps jersey.

Now I know the Rules of the Game regarding punishing the removal of the jersey... it's automatically a yellow card. But is anybody aware of the Rules of the Game regarding what qualifies to receive the yellow card? Is it simply the act of removing the jersey or is it the exposure of skin?

It boggles the mind. But, after many cards later, eventually the match turned into 9-man Caps side vs. a 10-man Revs side.... but Vancouver held fast and were quite impressive looking being two men down. However, their tenacity had a slight hiccup and they gave up the win with 90 seconds left in stoppage time... such a shame. But congrats to both clubs for picking up a point in a very well-fought match (despite the officiating.)

There were so many "professional" soccer analysts saying Vancouver was destined to be a bottom-feeder... suck it, people who get paid to not know what they're talking about!

There weren't any trophies. That's why they could only get away with the carpet.

Sorry, Brit humour.

Oh I got it, I flipped it around though...

We may have not won anything since 2005 but our trophy room is far from empty...

Southampton. We get a stiff neck looking at all the teams above us these days! :cross:

I've always liked Saints. Grew up in hampshire and had a few school mates that were regulars at the dell. It's a shame they've fallen so far. Still, you can always dust off replays of the great Le God....

Last edited by a moderator:
Southampton. We get a stiff neck looking at all the teams above us these days! :cross:

Gooooo S****horpe!!!! I've lately been rooting for The Iron because I drew them in an FA Cup pool. We're in danger of being relegated from the Championship level :(

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHA the censor thought I was trying to say a naughty word! Sc%nthorpe . . .

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHA the censor thought I was trying to say a naughty word! Sc%nthorpe . . .

An old tea commercail said Typhoo put the "T" in Britain......I'm note sure who put the **** in S****horpe. ;)

Edit: My lot stole Sc*nthorpe's manager near the beginning of this season. You can thank us any time for that. :)

Alright, some domestic soccer today:

dallas_150.png
colorado_150.png
fsc-small-logo-transparent.png

FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids -- Fox Soccer Channel 6pm Pacific
Dallas looking for their first win while the Rapids have won all their matches so far. Hopefully the hoops have plenty of fans show up to give them the boost they need.... because they have the talent, they have the 2010 Manager of the Year... they just need to put it all together.

As this is the first rematch of the 2010 MLS Cup Final, Dallas is going to be out for blood. Colorado is going to have to play smart if they hope to escape Pizza Hut Park with any points.

Anyone watching the Arsenal v. Tottenham game?

The result was never a surprise. The only surprise was that we didn't manage to lose that one, but hey, 15 games unbeaten has gotta be worth something, right? Yea right..... bunch of bottle artists.

I read a stat that we've dropped 18 points in games where we've been leading at HT. 18 freaking points. Something huge needs to change in the summer. I don't care if it's a wholesale team change, a manager change, or both. Something needs to change....

i just read this whole thread,am i the only bolton wanderers(who?) out there? the f.a. cup final was in sight last week and they choked,the might as well have just stayed in the changing room.
gonna upset arsenal this weekend though!

Being a Stu Holden fan (and all other USMNT players), I do follow Bolton with a bit of interest. As long as they aren't playing Man United, I am pulling for them... especially against Arsenal!

mr_goodwrench said:
Being a Stu Holden fan (and all other USMNT players), I do follow Bolton with a bit of interest. As long as they aren't playing Man United, I am pulling for them... especially against Arsenal!

Same for me on holden/bolton. I'd rather see arsenal win than man u, tho. But honestly, I'm mostly a neutral when it comes to epl.

Latest posts

Back