Brewing beer and kombucha in the same house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this question is for all you homebrewers who make both kombucha and beer (or mead, or wine, or whatever). Do you keep your kombucha near your beer/mead/wine during fermentation, or as far away as possible?

My wife and I are just starting to get into brewing our own kombucha, and are trying to figure out the best place to keep it during fermentation. I have a closet under the stairs where I do my beer and mead fermentation, bulk aging and bottle "cellaring". This would seem to be the best place to do the kombucha as well, since it's clean, cool, dark, and not near food.

But I don't want the kombucha and its menagerie of mysterious microbes to jeopardize my beer and mead.

And to clarify, my beer and mead fermentations are all closed, but (especially for mead) I do take the lid off from time to time for samples, nutrient additions, etc.

Am I just being paranoid? Someone give me a reality check here. Thanks!

I keep them separate. Kombucha you can pretty much store anywhere since temperature is not really important, it just controls the speed of fermentation.

hadn't thought of that being an issue. But I don't have any equipment cross over with the two. I also just keep my Kombucha in an upper cabinet in our kitchen.

i do both, in the same room. i've never had a problem with 'cross contamination' but you'll never be sorry that you took too much precaution.

Back