Multi-Purpose Propane Cooker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I am new to this hobby, but I find the dual burner stove with legs to be the best addition to my brew collection. Well worth the 99 bucks if you can make it happen. But I see a lot of folks use a similar set up that you provided.

But your back will love you for this and you're going to want another burner sooner than later anyway.

P12042302.jpg

It looks like it's specially made to fit that long, narrow looking turkey fryer. When you get your kettle you definitely want one that has a ball valve. You'll have to check the BTUs on that thing and the dimensions (I can't seem to pull it up on the website). That pot so friggin tall and narrow it's going to be a real pain to drain the wort out of there. 5 gallons of liquid is heavy!

It would work great, especially if you could get those "pot guards" off the side (not sure what they're called). If you tried to upgrade to a larger pot those would get in the way. There's hotter burners out there (this one somewhere between 58,000 and 69,000 BTU) but it will get the job done. I brewed today for the first time with my burner and its rated at only 38,000 and it brought 109 degree water (warmed at the tap) to boil in 20 min and handling full rolling boil for an hour with no problems what so ever.

Hey, I am new to this hobby, but I find the dual burner stove with legs to be the best addition to my brew collection. Well worth the 99 bucks if you can make it happen. But I see a lot of folks use a similar set up that you provided.

But your back will love you for this and you're going to want another burner sooner than later anyway.

P12042302.jpg

I have this one and it is cool however took forever (40 minutes) to boil 6 gallons in 50°F temperature.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...e%2BPropane%2BCooker%2Bwith%2BAccessories.jsp

Probably going to buy this to get my Brew on. I was just wondering if you guys see any flaws to using something like this.

Will I be able to upgrade to a larger, stainless steel pot and still fit on this burner?

What you are looking at looks like a turkey fryer set up. I have looked at those and wondered if they could be used for brewing.
I too have wondered if using an aluminum pot was OK since several of the turkey fryers I have looked at come with aluminum pots with a drain valve that would be convenient to have.

How bad is it to brew in aluminum?

I've never had a problem with aluminum. It transfers the heat to the water faster than stainless. Its not as durable as stainless. Its more affordable than stainless. I don't think you'd go wrong with aluminum unless you are extremely rough on your equipment.

I bought the No name chinese turkey frier setup From Farm Fleet with the square steel stand and 20 min timer @$57 as my second burner... first is a fish frier that look very similar to that setup. Plenty of heat for 5 gal batches with both. Try to find a sturdy stand. I actually liked the timer setup, as i could turn on and off the flame quickly when applying heat in 1-2 min increments to maintain mash temp...

Even the wimpy stand was ok for 7 gal of water, but will be modified into a more suitable frame when spring blooms....

Back