First brew questions, lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark228

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have started on what appears to be a more difficult brew thinking all beers are the same lol. I am using a Brewmart Dutch Lager extract kit where you get to choose the strength by adding sugar. Instead of going for the full 9% with 3kg extra I used 2kg going for around 7% or so. I have started but obviously have some equipment missing which I didn't know about. I asked the guy at the brew shop and he forgot to tell me I would need a bubblelock and thermometer so my basic list is two 5gal pressure barrels, 5gal fermenting bin, steriliser, hydrometer, syphon pipe, and a CO2 top up cylinder for the barrels.

I made up the wort last Saturday and didn't realize I should have taken an OG reading but according to the kit with 2kg extra sugar it should be around 1055 OG. I also didn't know about brewing sugar so used 2kg normal household sugar in it :eek: . With no bubblelock I had no way of knowing if it was fermenting and there is no foam on the surface at all. I've read that lager yeast tends to bottom ferment so does that mean the no foam is ok or is this a bad sign? I took a hydrometer reading yesterday and it said 1011 but with no thermometer I don't know the temps or anything (basically a wing and a prayer with this first brew lol ). But (55-11)/55*100 = 80 so not too bad?

I'm going to take another reading tomorrow and am thinking of moving to secondary/pressure barrel if it is at 1006? My hydrometer says not to bottle (or pressure barrel?) unless the brew is at 1006 or below and the kit instructions say between 1.002 and 1.006 "or when bubbles no longer rise" so what do you folks suggest? I don't have bottles atm so will be keeping it in the pressure barrel and drink it from there :drunk: but what risks do I have of it exploding or are these plastic barrels safer than glass bottles?

I'm worried about temperature but will just have to cross my fingers I guess, it's pretty cool here and I don't have the heating on so cooler is better I guess?

If I get more bottles and decide to bottle from the secondary/pressure barrel that I will have added the priming sugar to, do I need to add more sugar to the bottles?

Lots of questions, this site is really helpful I've been reading lots of posts trying to get up to speed and found that online book too which I have read. Oh one last thing, the lagering part I just put the secondary in a cooler place than where it fermented and leave it there from now on, yes? The instructions said ferment at 65-75F and store at 65f.

I'll be more organised by the time I start my second batch next weekend, thanks in advance for any advice. ;) :mug:

With 80% attenuation, it might be done. The sugar ferments completely, but the malt won't. How much malt extract did you use?

hi, I just used what was in the tin which says 1.8kg. The reason I chose 2kg instead of the maximum 3kg sugar is it did say that it is better not to have more sugar than malt and to add extra "light spraymalt" rather than sugar, but I didn't have any and wanted to get this one started. :tank:

I've just done a hydrometer reading and it is now at 1006 :ban: So I'm just about to rinse out the pressure barrel I had soaking in steriliser, boil my sugar primer and rack it over. I had a taste of what was in the testing tube and although its a bit green it tastes good, with a definite alcohol kick! :ban: :mug: I'm guessing these extract kits are quite forgiving for newbies like myself. ;)

I don't have bottles atm so will be keeping it in the pressure barrel and drink it from there but what risks do I have of it exploding or are these plastic barrels safer than glass bottles?
Ahhh I got my answer which is obvious :eek: the barrels have pressure valves so are quite safe.

Back