What's the proper way to airlock an orange cap on a better bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dagobah

Reaction score
Went to rack my first batch last night into a better bottle. My kit came with an orange cap. I had assumed my airlock would fit into one of the two nozzles, but that wasn't the case.

As a fix, I use a my stopper to connect the two. This can't be the correct method. Have also not seen any bubbling in the airlock since doing this. I'm worried it's not a great seal.

What's the correct way to airlock with this type of orange top?

6907236361_c5c65bfc68.jpg

I've never used one but you could/should set up a blow off tube for the start of your fermentation. You could actually leave the blow off tube as your airlock.

Dagobah said:
Went to rack my first batch last night into a better bottle. My kit came with an orange cap. I had assumed my airlock would fit into one of the two nozzles, but that wasn't the case.

As a fix, I use a my stopper to connect the two. This can't be the correct method. Have also not seen any bubbling in the airlock since doing this. I'm worried it's not a great seal.

What's the correct way to airlock with this type of orange top?

Those caps are intended for use with blow off tubes... though I do not see any reason your setup wouldn't work ;)

I've never used one but you could/should set up a blow off tube for the start of your fermentation. You could actually leave the blow off tube as your airlock.

That's what I thought, but this was a wine/mead kit, so I was second guessing myself.

I'll likely buy one of the rubber stoppers for use with the airlock while it clears.

Thanks though. Actually had nightmares I ruined the batch...

Dagobah said:
That's what I thought, but this was a wine/mead kit, so I was second guessing myself.

I'll likely buy one of the rubber stoppers for use with the airlock while it clears.

Thanks though. Actually had nightmares I ruined the batch...

Those nightmares end after about a year of brewing...

Man I couldn't stop laughing when I saw your rig! Anyways, this is what my haus ale looks like right now in the fermenter:

IMG_1023.jpg

Cacaman said:
Man I couldn't stop laughing when I saw your rig! Anyways, this is what my haus ale looks like right now in the fermenter:

Exactly what I use with my BB's except I prefer the 3 piece airlocks. Warm water will help soften the cap but all of mine were just forced in.

I use an airlock in mine too... Put it in the hole that the white cap is on...

Take airlock out and in theory shove your racking tube in there and blow on the angled one to start your siphon (I always use my auto siphon)

Back