Loss of head due to spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hasseg

Reaction score
I've made a pale ale spiced up with coriander, orange and grapefruit peel to ferment together with the beer at the of the fermentation. It was the zest from 2 oranges and 1 grapefruit, I have kegged it now and I am able to test. The taste is very nice, but the head fizzles away directly making a load sound like when you pour champagne or something. Could it be the zest possibly? Or the method I used to add it (directly to the beer), I wanted a extracted flavour and I think I got it. But no head though...

Could easily be the oils from the citrus zest. It takes a surprisingly small amount of oil to ruin head retention. Might want to try dried orange peel next time.

Could easily be the oils from the citrus zest. It takes a surprisingly small amount of oil to ruin head retention. Might want to try dried orange peel next time.

Cheers, I'll try and dry them next time. I have tried comercial beers with zest and they all had good head, seems unfair..

Back