white film after 4 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbiers

Reaction score
A had an extract cream ale iwith a dry yeast in the primary for about 22 days before transferring to secondary. A week later a whitish film has appeared on top. Is this a spoiled batch? It's been pretty hot here and I'm wondering if it's shot. Was very careful with keeping things sanitary.

Any advice?

Search NEVER DUMP YOUR BEER....After you read my post.

No matter what, It's probably ok. I'd just rack from under that film, bottle, and go for the gold.

Post a picture if you can.

I just came up with the same problem. I racked and bottled while leaving the film in the carboy. Did you taste it? Mine tasted strongly like alcohol, maybe due to the high fermenting temperatures???

According to "Home Beermaking - The Complete Beginner's Guidebook" by William More (3rd Ed.):

White Film on the Surface

Problem: Caused by an airborne mold. Appears as a dusty white (very thin) film in the fermenter, and then appears again in the bottles beer. White film mold is not usually accompanied with a taste defect, so it is ok to drink the beer.

Size emphasis my own.

many thanks, just noticed the film on my pale ale last night and was getting nervous. i'll taste it tonight.

Back