Question about grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Bought a recipe from brewmasters and then got to busy to brew it( really 2 recipes) how long can the crushed grain last in the sealed bags and still be good enough to make good beer? Also same with yeast. I have a smack pack that had a brew by date of April 2012 is this still gonna work?

Keep grain in the fridge...should be ok for a few weeks. Do a starter with the yeast pack a few days before brewing.

I've kept cracked grain in the freezer for six months and it worked out ok. Not something I would consider ideal, but circumstance forced it.

Well wife bought recipe for me while on deployment about month ago and it's been sitting in vac sealed bag in living room for month perhaps. Hops and yeast been in fridge. What about now. Also is a stir plate required for starters if I wanna do it two days in advance?

I wouldn't say required, are they nice yes, but made starters for awhile without one. Just keep it in your kitchen and swirl it a bit everytime you walk by.

Well wife bought recipe for me while on deployment about month ago and it's been sitting in vac sealed bag in living room for month perhaps. Hops and yeast been in fridge. What about now. Also is a stir plate required for starters if I wanna do it two days in advance?

If the grain has been in a sealed bag you should be fine. Smell it and make sure its not mildewy or something, but you are going to be boiling it afterall. I'd still make it.

Back