Thermocouple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pash91

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought a "Love controller" thermocouple from BrewersHardware thinking that it would work on the cheap Love controller knockoff I got from Ebay. Turns out the difference between the Love controller thermocouple and the Ranco thermo couple is 3 vs 2 wire. I'm wondering if there's any way to use the 3 wire thermocouple on a 2 wire controller. I'm not quite sure what all the wires are for. Thanks

on your 3-wire thermocouple, two of them should be the same color and/or be electrically connected (close to zero ohm resistance measured between them). you can either leave one of those two unplugged, or double them up- both on one post.

of course their website gives zero information about them- if they are 2 or 3 wire, RTD or thermocouple, the accuracy or temperature range... all usefull stuff to know.

Yeah, completely agreed on the usefulness, hence my purchase of this one. Thanks for the info. I'm going to go test the resistance now (not the same color, great).

Twisting the only two wires that show any resistance together, not using the ground, and using the other wire results in the unit showing an error.

The two wires with resistance between them are the sensor wires if it's an RTD. Hook up a meter and see if you have any mV coming from between two wires. If so then it's a thermocouple if not it's an RTD. There's also multiple types of RTDs and thermocouples So the likelihood you got what you needed isn't very good. You really need to know the exact type if sensor, like 100 ohm platinum RTD or Type J thermocouple or what have you.

I see NTC 10k/3435 which is a thermistor, like an RTD but resistance goes down instead of up.

No you can't use an RTD or a thermocouple, you need a thermistor, try googling NTC 10k and see what you get. You should b able to get one from China cheap, you'll just have to wait forever for shipping. Check eBay and amazon too some of these Chinese companies have super tiny distributors in the US.

I got the following one: http://youa.baidu.com/item/8de20ad17568b98c0c7e6079. It came with some sort of thermocouple with two wires.

you need a Negative temperature coefficient (NTC) thermistor, not a regular thermocouple or RTD (resistance temperature detector).

something like this (though i dont read chineese so im not going to guarantee this will work)
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ELIWELL-Temperature-Sensor-6JZY3

how much did you pay for this thing if you dont mind saying?

Latest posts

Back