Tried the Temp crash idea for yeast and strange foam disappearence?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KilhavenBrew

Reaction score
I read on some of the posts that people actually pitch at 75 degrees and then drop it to 65 degrees for fermentation.

I tried this for the first time as usually I pitch at 70 and drop only to 68.

The fermentation came on strong with lots of top fermenting yeast as it was about 5 inches foamed above the top of the wort within 24 hours. But then when I crashed the temp down to 65, the foam on top completely disappeared.

I am worried? Maybe I did not understand what people meant by crashing it down. Is the foam on top supposed to disappear in less than 12 hours like that? Maybe the top thing bobbing a lot is just leftover CO2?

Hope this things still ferments out. Yeast was Wyeast 1010 American Wheat.

Can you link to these posts advocating a 75ºF pitch and a 65ºF fermentation? I can't imagine why you would want to do that.

The krausen doesn't mean much. Keep the temp at 65 and take a few hydro readings on successive days if you suspect there's no activity. Not that the airlock is a particularly perfect indicator either, but I suspect you're actually still getting fermentation. Where would the leftover CO2 be hiding?

Thank you for the reply. I am glad the Krausen does not matter. Although it always made me feel better about doing it right. And from what I can tell, it is really doing well on the fermentation.

OK, so it took me a while to find the post that I read. I had to use History on the web browser to find it.

I really do know how to read. But apparently not when I have had too many beers. I have to admit, here it is and sorry for the miss post. It is way different than what I thought I read. No more late nights drinking taking notes from the forum. I need to do that research more sober. WAY different! Wow!:confused:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/b...on-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/

I could see doing this if you wanted to bring out some of the esters that you are looking for, especially in a Belgian strain (or a British strain like the link mentions). What may have happened in your case is that you just got a really fast fermentation with it being warmer than usually, and the krausen was getting ready to fall anyways. The yeast will still do their job, just let them hang out a while! Not sure about the American Wheat strain, but you might expect some banana esters from those ferm temps, so hopefully you don't mind a few in a wheat.

Back