The top came clean off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh_Jass

Reaction score
Brewed an amber ale and pitched with US-05 on Tues eve.. Temp in the swamp cooler is 62F. Started in 12 hrs. Here's what I woke up to this morn.
DSC01637.JPG

With that title you should have put this in the CLUB. :D

You're lucky that lid didn't go apesh!t on you and really explode. Did you have to get out the ceiling mop?

Nope, no ceiling painting. I don't use an airlock. I just set the sanitized lid loosely on the pail just in case something like this might happen.
Posting in the fight club would have resulted in a plethora of T or GTFO.:cross:

I just set the sanitized lid loosely on the pail just in case something like this might happen.

That's pretty slick. Do you do that with all of your beers? Also, do you ever put an airlock on after it's died down? Do you secondary? I'm curious if you can't tell. :D

This started out of necessity. I had hand surgery last fall on my dominant hand and still have very little strength in it. Removing the Ale Pail lids was a circus act. I read Flyangler18's thread about "stop putting stoppers in your starters" thread and applied it to my primary fermentation.

I've brewed about 40 gallon just setting the lid on the pail. I secondary beers that I dry hop. Other than that, it's leave the lid on for 3-4 weeks, cold crash, rack to keg. It's worked out pretty swell so far, but with summer coming, fruit flies might be an issue. I'll probably start with airlocks after primary fermentation has subsided in the summer/fall months.
This is the second blow-off. The first was BM's SWMBO slayer pitched with wlp400. That one was kickin' like a mule.

Cool, thanks. I would think that there might be a problem if you transferred to secondary because it would take so long for the beer to create the C02 blanket.

Yeah, I would say it worked as designed - probably just a little more mess than a blowoff tube and even those aren't full proof on ale pales because of the small opening.

Back