Pumpkin stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutattheDevil

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We wanted to try to put together a pumpkin stout instead of doing a traditional ale or porter. I was going to just use canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices and just use a pretty basic oatmeal stout recipe for the beer itself. Any suggestions to a good recipe or any tips when dealing with the pumpkin or when a good time to add the spices into the batch would be?

Cheers!

When i did my pumpkin ale I added the spices with like 2 minutes to go in the boil. The sample I pulled tasted pretty good. But I agree with jacksonbrown, you might want to add extra to get the flavor. I used a 29oz can of liby's all natural pumkin, maybe go with one of those and a smaller one.

****EDIT****
After a week fermentation was done on my pumpkin ale but I really didn't like the taste. So I added two more 29oz cans with equal parts water and 2 tablespoons mallasses. I simmered it all for about 15 minutes, cooled, then added. It tastes a lot better now.

Back