Plastic vs. Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcott

Reaction score
I'm currently ready to brew my 4th batch and I decided to get a second primary in order to expand my pipeline. My first primary is a 6.5 gal glass carboy that I love. It's big, burly, and ready to brew (currently fermenting my Imperial Pilgrim Pumpkin-Cocoa Porter). That being said, it's size makes it bulky and tough to carry/clean/sanitize. I got it as my first primary because I like that idea of being able to see the fermentation.

This brew is a pretty simple american amber ale, and when at my LHBS I decided to get a plastic fermenter for my second primary. It seems easier to maintain as long as I don't scratch it, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper now that glass has gone through the roof.

I also considered a better bottle.

Do y'all have opinions on these options? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ha, totally jealous. Once I have some more room, I'm all about that. How do you do temp control with those?

My primary is a plastic bucket. Works great. Glass, in my opinion, is just too heavy and breakable (though, I'm glad you like yours). I have a Better bottle secondary, but have not used it yet. There are a ton of threads about the glass/plastic debate, so i encourage you to search. There is also a page on the wiki that lists pros/cons of glass and plastic. That Wiki page is here.

Hope this helps.

I bought my glass carboy for nostalgia's sake. It was THE LAST Mexican produced carboy to be sold from my LHBS. It was also the last glass carboy he'll sell in general because he's dropping the Italian carboys in favor of better bottles.

Glass all the way for me. Scratchless, doesn't retain odors, and cleaning is a cinch with a bit of bleach.

I wish I could use glass as my primary (I use a bucket) but I make 6 gallon batches and it would easily overflow in a carboy...

Currently have 2 7.5 gallon buckets and 2 6 gallon Better Bottles... Would have bought a glass carboy, but it got sold out from under me... Darn...

Back