CO2 tank fill Indianapolis, IN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indybrewer

Reaction score
I really don't want to do a exchange on my tank since it is brand new. Anyone from the Indy area know where I can get it filled towards the south/south east side of Indy is. Thanks in advance for your help.

:mug:

I know this might not be much of a help since I dont live in your area.
I get mine filled at a fire safety place. They do fire ext's and medical bottles.

Just some other place to research before you give up on getting it filled.
Good Luck.
Josh

Search your yellow pages for fire extinguisher service places. I just called my local fire extinguisher company yesterday and they said that they would fill a 20# co2 tank while you waited for $25 ($12.50 for 5#), which is cheaper than the welding supply co. which exchanges tanks.

Look in the yellow pages for scuba diving equipment (don't ask me why most carry co2 but thats where I get mine filled), fire extinguisher fills, soda equipment, welding shops. Should be fairly easy to find a place to get a refill.

I used to get my paintball CO2 tanks filled at Dunham's. I don't think they have any in Indy but I'm sure any respectable sporting goods store will fill your tanks.

Dunhams couldn't fill mine. I had to exchange my brand new looking one in anderson at a welding and gas supply shop near the mall for an old one. They said to call ahead and ask for an aluminum next time if I want one similiar. I would call Great Fermentations and ask them. If Dunhams can do it now, then great. I hate the look of mine.

Why couldn't Dunham's fill your tank? I was planning on getting mine filled in the next couple days. I called them this morning and they said no problem. Did you go to Praxair?

You can try Paintball Indiana or Proving Ground Paintball on the north side. They're both fields, but they should be able to refill your tank. Also try Dick's Sporting Goods.

Great Fermentations does tank exchanges and they are very reasonably priced. I think I paid about $27 for a 20lb tank. Sure I gave up my nice looking tank, but its certification had expired and that would have been a lot more expensive to re-certify and fill. I'm OK with my less pretty tank. I can always pull out a can of spray paint!

Most places will respect that yours is lookin new and will generally give you a decent replacement.

In other topics....TPB is right down the street from my dad's office. He's over on Virginia ave. Next time I stop in to see him we'll head on over.

Look in the yellow pages for scuba diving equipment (don't ask me why most carry co2 but thats where I get mine filled)

Scuba divers often wear a small inflatable buoyancy life jacket that assists them in rapidly ascending to the surface, and these buoyancy jackets are often inflated on demand by a small CO2 tank (even though compressed air tanks are now the norm). That's why dive shops have CO2!

Koorsen fire and security. I get mine filled at their Bloomington location and they do it on the spot. Takes about 5min and they charge around $15 for 5lbs. Gets cheaper per/lb as you go up in tank size.

http://koorsen.com/

I came across this thread because my Co2 tank is empty and I couldn't find anybody that would flat-out fill my tank and let me keep it so I wouldn't have to get rid of my new tank.

Anyways, the last guy posted that Koorsen Fire and Security fills tanks. Indeed they do, as I'm getting ready to head there myself. Honestly, I don't know if I'm going to get charged anything because I lucked out and know one of their employees. He actually took a 5lb fire extinguisher and set it up so I could use it to push my kegs, filled it and gave it to me for free.

So, I called him this morning to ask if they would fill it if I brought it in myself and how much they charge. He said he would call over there and tell them I'm heading in to get a tank filled for him and they wouldn't charge me. Plus, he's going to get me a spare for no charge. Sometimes it really is all about who you know!

So I feel like I got ripped off. I went to the only gas refill place in town and paid 47 dollars for a tank exchange. I already owned the tank I just needed it filled but they don't refill the co 2. Only swap the tanks. I left feeling like I got screwed. And it looks like I did.

Urban Farmer in Westfield, Indiana now offers CO2 refills for brewing customers. 2.5lb. 5 and 15 pound refills. :mug:

The only places I know are Indiana Oxygen (north west) and InWeld (south west). I have used them both in the past.

Old thread but Sutton Garten off 9th and Capitol I believe does $15 swaps. Just called today. If you want your tank back you may have to leave it there for a day if they don't have time to fill right then.

Back