Easy Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tielson's

Reaction score
Can someone please give me a real nice easy step by step recipe for a first time brewing without a beer kit please????

I have everything for a pumpkin spice but we figured that is a little advanced.

Ó Flannagáin said:
What all do you have?

It doesn’t really matter I can go buy all the ingredients, I just want something simple to start off with. With a in depth recipe.

Well, what do you want to brew?

Honestly, most beer reciepes are pretty easy as long as you can follow directions. IPAs are inherently more difficult than pale ales unless for some reason it's tougher to add four ounces of hops instead of two. There are a few exceptions (sour beers, lagers), but otherwise, make what you like.

So, what *do* you like?

Here's a quick and dirty process to make a nice dry stout.

Get 3lb Dry Malt Extract, 3lb Dark Malt Extract (most likely syrup). Also get, 1/2lb of roasted barley, 1/2lb of chocolate malt, 1lb of dextrine malt (carapils). Make sure the grains are crushed and put into a steeping bag. Also get, 1 ounce of hops, either kent goldings or fuggles. Also get a pack of nottingham dry yeast.

Get out a pot, pour 1.5 to 2 gallons of water in it. put your steeping grains in and heat it up to 150, hold at 150F for 20-30minutes. Pull out your grains. Bring the water up to a boil.

Once boiling, add your hops. 45 minutes after adding your hops, add your Malt extract and syrup and stir until everything is dissolved. After 15 more minutes of boil pour your wort into a fermenting vessel that has been sanitized. Top up with water to reach 5 gallons, stir with a sanitized spoon, add your yeast, put the cap on, and let sit for 3 weeks! Bottle, let sit another 2 or 3 weeks, then serve :D

Tielson's said:
It doesn’t really matter I can go buy all the ingredients, I just want something simple to start off with. With a in depth recipe.
It really sounds like a kit is a much wiser option for you, they generally come with detailed instructions and are thus ideal for those learning the ropes. And, in many cases they're generally a similar price or even cheaper than buying the ingredients separately anyway. Most people who post up their own recipes do not go to such great lengths to do step-by-step instructions as it's assumed that people reading them will already know the basics. That's not to say there aren't any exceptions to the rule, but really, kits are pretty much DESIGNED for situations like yours.

hey if you can get Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing, he's got a bunch of simple yet great recipes. I did Elbro Nerktes brown ale (from the book) as my first batch, and it was really good. I got more compliments on it than any other beer to date. I belive the recipe is 6.6lb dark extract(liquid), 0.5lb crystal malt, 0.5lb black patent malt(brought to 165 deg, then 25 min steep), 1oz fuggles hops for the boil (0-60 min), and 0.5oz cascade for the flavor(min 54-60). I used whitelabs east coast ale yeast, but any neutral yeast dry or liquid will do. It is a quick-maturing recipe too, you could theoretically bottle it after about 8 days in primary, and it will taste good in about ten days in the bottle. I did a short secondary though, for clarity's sake. Also, I accidentally grabbed a can of extra-lite extract and one dark, but I think that helped it. Man I need to do that beer again. Good luck, and get that book it is a beginners bible.

Chapter 19 of How to Brew has numerous recipes. You'll want to read the whole book, or better yet buy the revised print edition, but the online version will get you started.

Chad

You could also search this site, hundreds have been posted. I know, i've been searching. You're better off deciding what you want to make... I've been hitting the liquor stores around my way and buying those 22oz bottles of funky stuff I've never tried. I bought a Weissbier yesterday, and a Kellerbeir (or something like that?). The weiss was nice but I didn't like the aroma, sort of like a fruit cobbler.. So I know I probably won't dig a Hefe.. It was really thick too.. Picked up some Oktoberfest, and a Cherry Wheat.. Kinda cool to make my own 22oz 6pack for like 12-14 bucks and I can try a few styles..

/ideas

Back