Kettle vs. Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Do You Brew In?

• "Traditional" Stainless Steel Stock Pot

• Reconditioned Keg Kettle

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

brackbrew

Reaction score
Ok, I'm gonna throw this one out for everybody...I'm in the market to purchase a new brew kettle, and posted earlier inquiring about a good burner. I had intended to buy one of Northern Brewers' MegaPot 40 qt brew pots. A reply to my post recommended buying one of Sabco's acid-washed, reconditioned keg kettles. So my question and poll is this: What are your preferences, what are you recommendations, what are your setups? Traditional Kettle, Keg Kettle or other? Insights and reasons would be helpful.

Have at it, gentlemen. Your collective advice for me in my growth as a brewer has been indispensible.

Brew on.

We recently had a thread on this--IMHO you cannot go wrong with a converted keg. It is big enough to do 10 gallon batches in, which you may say you don't want to do now, but you will someday!

I'm just about to find out.

I was looking aT large pans and It was going to cost me around £80.
I just ordered 8 kegs at £70 the lot.
(I hope theY are ok, I've not seen them yet.)

ORRELSE said:
We recently had a thread on this--IMHO you cannot go wrong with a converted keg. It is big enough to do 10 gallon batches in, which you may say you don't want to do now, but you will someday!

Definitely. The domed bottom of a converted keg is also a big plus. The flat bottomed pots tend to leave more wort behind.

I use a big stock pot. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to the converted keg, but for the time being it would be overkill for my setup.

Latest posts

Back