Compressor in chest freezer died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf71

Reaction score
Is there anything I can do with this or repair it? The compressor stopped and there is no cold air at all.

Unfortunately I think you may be SOL as far as repairing the freezer. I think the parts are more expensive than a new freezer, one thing you could do with it is to convert it into a fermentation chamber. Now as far as how to go about doing that...Im not quite sure, but there are threads on that here. Good luck, wish I had better news

Surf,
I have had the luck of getting them going by hitting them(compressor) with a hammer. I usually use a dead blow type hammer that way there is not much damage to the compressor, but i have used a ball peen. Most(not all) of the times that will by you some time, I've had them go for a year or so doing this and I've also had them only last for a couple days. It's usually the piston in the compressor that gets hung(stuck) and needs a little jarring to get it started.
Good luck!!!

Its possible that the relay failed but its a gamble. Its one of those things that is hard to diagnose. Get your model number, call your local appliance parts house and see what the relay/start device costs.

A dead compressor is almost always the end for those and the parts alone will cost more than a replacement. Banging it with a hammer might get a stuck rotor to free up temporarily but does nothing for shorted winding's and its not a long term solution.

If you have a volt-ohmeter and are handy there are a few things you can check before calling it a dead compressor. The defrost timer, the control or starting components could be causing the trouble. Is there a wiring diagram on the unit somewhere?

depending on how much effort you want to put into it, you can find a cheap fridge from CL and gut it. I got my chest freezer for free and the compressor **** the bed a few weeks after (right before i needed to lager my first lager). I had a garage fridge that i picked up for $40. The freezer portion worked great, but the fridge portion wouldn't cool very well (it was fed from the freezer and the channel kept freezing up). I decided to carefully gut the fridge for the compressor/condenser/evaporator. I just notched my chest freezer near the lid to allow the tubing to rest without being crushed by the lid. I set the evaporator on the hump and it works great now.

That's the advantage of the old-style fridges where they had evaporator/condensors separate from the fridge body, but all the new fridges and freezers have the cooling tubes running directly through the body of the fridge, so there's no way to swap parts without breaking the system open.

keezer.jpg

She's dead but not forgotten.

Mine was dying a few weeks back, compressor was running but not cooling. I only assumed that it probably needed a recharge, but being that i was a 1991 freezer I didn't have time to deal with it so it went to the dump this past weekend. Replaced it with a smaller converted frigidaire fridge since it fits better in my apartment.

That's the advantage of the old-style fridges where they had evaporator/condensors separate from the fridge body, but all the new fridges and freezers have the cooling tubes running directly through the body of the fridge, so there's no way to swap parts without breaking the system open.
Mine was a new style, tubes running through the fridge. Got the angle grinder out and carefully cut the fridge up after exposing the tubes from the foam. Like I said, depends on how much effort you wanna do.

Back