Adding sugar to bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Here is my experiment and the results.....
use 2.5 grams corn sugar per bottle dillute with water to 100 mililiters. Use 10 mililiters per bottle.
Weighed 3/4 cup corn sugar divided weight by 53 bottles which would be a 5 gallon batch.
It gave me a little over 2.5 grams per bottle....2.54 I think......But I used 2.5

I had one gallon of brew about 10.5 bottles worth of beer. so 10.5 X 2.5 = 26.25 total grams of corn sugar.....put in graduated cylinder and add enough water to 100 mililters.....Shake then bring to boil take off heat and cool......I lost 10 mililiters of water so need to start with 110 mililiters next time. Then just add 10ml to bottles and fill and cap.....This was a brown 3 weeks old when bottled.

Not sure if this is any help to anyone, but the bottles came out undercarbonated....So I would use more than 2.5 grams of corn sugar per bottle....... Might use 3 grams or 3.5grams Also it would be much easier to add one ounce of corn sugar to the gallon then bottle........Or use the carb drops.......But if all you had was corn sugar then it might be helpful.

Dark_Ale said:
Also it would be much easier to add one ounce of corn sugar to the gallon then bottle

Then why didn't you do it that way (which is the way most people add sugar when bottling)?

Not sure I understand the purpose of your experiment. What were you testing? :confused:

some people prime bottles separately, but the vast majority prime in the bottling bucket...and then simply gently stir it every 12 bottles to make sure it stays consistently mixed.

never had problems this way.

Are you just trying to tell us you put the sugar into solution before priming the bottles?

It sounds like a lot of unnecessary work and math.

KISS

Add it to the bottling bucket.

Back