Adding fruit to Northern Brewer's Cream Ale Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddbrink

Reaction score
Hello

I have made Northern Brewers Cream ale kit a few times and really enjoy it. My wife suggested that it might be a good kit to try and add fruit too (blue berries or peaches maybe). I dont want to use extracts for the fruit flavor.

What is the best way for me to go about this?

Thanks
Todd

Oregon fruit puree in the secondary for 1-2 weeks all the way...my first all grain beer was a raspberry brown for SWMBO & it took a bronze medal in a competition I entered it in.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Great kit for friends and family that like lighter beers. I brew it with half the hops in the kit (which gives me an extra oz of Cascade for the hoppy stuff).

I just brewed it and set up an experiment with my GF. We took 10 bottles and added various levels of peach and vanilla extract. Recording which one is which. We will then taste test them and if she likes one we'll up it to a 5 gallon batch.

I hope it works. Experimentation is one of the many fun aspects of this hobby, right?

smalliewader said:
Search. There are hundreds of posts on how to add fruit.

I did search o-helpful sage. But there wasn't anything on what I was looking for. But hey thanks for taking the time to type out the obvious.

CTownBrewer said:
Oregon fruit puree in the secondary for 1-2 weeks all the way...my first all grain beer was a raspberry brown for SWMBO & it took a bronze medal in a competition I entered it in.

Thank you!

Do I have to worry about pasteurizing?

Pilotpip said:
Great kit for friends and family that like lighter beers. I brew it with half the hops in the kit (which gives me an extra oz of Cascade for the hoppy stuff).

I just brewed it and set up an experiment with my GF. We took 10 bottles and added various levels of peach and vanilla extract. Recording which one is which. We will then taste test them and if she likes one we'll up it to a 5 gallon batch.

I hope it works. Experimentation is one of the many fun aspects of this hobby, right?

Thanks for the tip! Let me know what works best for you. That's sounds like a great combo.

I did search o-helpful sage. But there wasn't anything on what I was looking for. But hey thanks for taking the time to type out the obvious.

Impossible. This board has probably the best search function on the web. In fact, if you even google anything beer related, you'll come up with threads from HBT.

Odd, because I just searched "adding fruit to beer" and got over 10 pages of threads on, gasp...adding fruit to beer. Everything you need to know, right there in one simple search. I guess some people want everything handed right to them though.

smalliewader said:
Impossible. This board has probably the best search function on the web. In fact, if you even google anything beer related, you'll come up with threads from HBT.

Odd, because I just searched "adding fruit to beer" and got over 10 pages of threads on, gasp...adding fruit to beer. Everything you need to know, right there in one simple search. I guess some people want everything handed right to them though.

I was talking specifically about Northern Brewers Cream Ale Extract kit. That's why I spelled it out.

Here don't read posts if they piss you off or give me your email so I can clear my questions with you.

I have brewed this recipe many times (I call it my house brew). I added a hop sock with two cups of shaved orange rinds for two weeks in the secondary. I also brewed a batch using citra hops and a extra pound of flaked oats, That one was very good.

Im_Lars said:
I have brewed this recipe many times (I call it my house brew). I added a hop sock with two cups of shaved orange rinds for two weeks in the secondary. I also brewed a batch using citra hops and a extra pound of flaked oats, That one was very good.

Wow both sound good!

Did you just put the oats in with the specialty grains?

toddbrink said:
Hello

I have made Northern Brewers Cream ale kit a few times and really enjoy it. My wife suggested that it might be a good kit to try and add fruit too (blue berries or peaches maybe). I dont want to use extracts for the fruit flavor.

What is the best way for me to go about this?

Thanks
Todd

I don't mean to sound like I'm being an as* but the best way to go about it is by adding either blueberries or peaches to the secondary. Do you mean amount or time or puree vs. Whole fruit. Maybe I just don't fully understand the question. I see you couldn't find anything in the search or it wasn't what you were looking for. If you want you could also YouTube adding fruit to beer and videos will show up.

toddbrink said:
Thank you!

Do I have to worry about pasteurizing?

No need to pasteurize. Oregon purees are about as sanitary as you can get using fruit.

Latest posts

Back