PLZ HELP!! Whats a good light BEER??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bpts_finest13

Reaction score
I LOVE BEER... but what I am even mote passionate about is being fit.. I go to the gym about 5 times a week and since beginning this hobby I still maintain but am drinking a lil more than I should.. what's a good tasting light beer that I could buy and also for the future does anyone have a good recipe.. would like to buy some for now though.. thanx in advance...

None of the new ultra-mega-Diet beers are any good in my opinion.

Sam Adams has an okay light beer. Yuengling does as well.

You're going to compromise on taste.

As for brewing, I haven't seen anyone tackle the REALLY light ones. I'm interested in what people come up with.

You could always look at a Belgian Taflebeir, which is what they served to school children. Not joking.

The problem is that making it low-alcohol won't make it low-calorie. You need very little residual sugar left, which means no body, and is why those "lite" beers are so easy to quaff.

I agree that Guiness is a good place to go too. Your looking at a lot of flavor for the light body. Plus it is relatively low on alcohol as well, so you can still remember going to bed afterward. :D

I go the other way. Instead of looking for a super light beer, drink a stronger more robust beer that takes longer for you to drink. That way you don't have to sacrifice for a light beer, and will drink less beer than a mild beer. Other than that, just do more cardio.

However...I did a quick search on some of the Beer Smith recipes and did a sort by calorie column, and there were quite a few with 43cal/pint. I don't know how accurate that calorie information is but...

The Northern Brewer Innkeeper kit I've brewed a couple times comes out at 125 calories/12 oz bottle according to Hopville. That's only about 15 more than Bud Light and it's a helluva lot tastier. I've actually taken to brewing more session beers for home consumption because it's so hard to find anything good commercially in that 4% abv, less than 150 calorie range.

I LOVE BEER... but what I am even mote passionate about is being fit.. I go to the gym about 5 times a week and since beginning this hobby I still maintain but am drinking a lil more than I should.. what's a good tasting light beer that I could buy and also for the future does anyone have a good recipe.. would like to buy some for now though.. thanx in advance...

Cut something else from you diet. A man should never sacrifice good beer for the sake of a few calories. That's my take at least.

+1 on Sam Adams Light. Far and above the best light beer I've ever had, whatever that's worth.

Teromous said:
However...I did a quick search on some of the Beer Smith recipes and did a sort by calorie column, and there were quite a few with 43cal/pint. I don't know how accurate that calorie information is but...

did you actually change the fg and og numbers to the correct numbers for the beer. That use to mess me up then one day I realized the when you put the numbers in the cal count changes.

I go the other way. Instead of looking for a super light beer, drink a stronger more robust beer that takes longer for you to drink. That way you don't have to sacrifice for a light beer, and will drink less beer than a mild beer. Other than that, just do more cardio.

I agree. I find I drink less of the good beers. When I drink a full flavored beer I only drink two or three in an evening. When I used to drink "light" beers I would easily drink ten or more.

I'd rather have one good craft beer than two bud lights

These. Drink one that you'll sip rather than seventeen that you'll chug without realizing it. I find that anything that I have to pour into a tulip glass goes much more slowly than anything I pour into anything else. On an fyi note, the cardio thing is a myth. If you add the 24-48 hrs after your workout you burn more calories from weightlifting than cardio although you do burn more during the workout doing cardio. Also, I'd rather have one good kick in the teeth than drink two bud lights.

Im with the "quality not quantity" vote here. I just kicked a keg of winter warmer that most nights was plenty and 2 was drunk. I can't say the same for many light beers, and while I don't know the calorie counts, Im sure it was lower then drinking a light beer until I was tipsy.

My $.02

I found it's much easier to eat small portions of lean meat and some vegetables when there is a glass or two of great homebrew waiting at the end.

The Northern Brewer Innkeeper kit I've brewed a couple times comes out at 125 calories/12 oz bottle according to Hopville. That's only about 15 more than Bud Light and it's a helluva lot tastier. I've actually taken to brewing more session beers for home consumption because it's so hard to find anything good commercially in that 4% abv, less than 150 calorie range.

I will deff look into this one. thanx

Remember, hops are low calorie and taste great!!

In reality, I had the same questions awhile back. I tried brewing lighter session beers, and found a few decent ones. However, I personally found I would rather have 1 IPA or porter than 2 or 3 session beers. As I cut back I found I like brewing a lot more than the drinking (and I like drinking :) ) I can go a week without even thinking about tapping my kegs. I usually end up having to invite friends over to float my kegs so I can get the next batches in. :mug:

Cut something else from you diet. A man should never sacrifice good beer for the sake of a few calories. That's my take at least.

I have cut Many things already... can't seem to cut the BEERS though... I love my BEERS. The SWMBO always says that it make no sense to work out so much and drink... But I only drink on the weekends.

These. Drink one that you'll sip rather than seventeen that you'll chug without realizing it. I find that anything that I have to pour into a tulip glass goes much more slowly than anything I pour into anything else. On an fyi note, the cardio thing is a myth. If you add the 24-48 hrs after your workout you burn more calories from weightlifting than cardio although you do burn more during the workout doing cardio. Also, I'd rather have one good kick in the teeth than drink two bud lights.

LOL.. Yeah in Don't like BUDs myself period.

Kolsch
Farmhouse Biere
Inn Keeper

Pretty much anything with about 6# of LME in the kit.

cool... I just bottled a 5gal Honey Kolsch from Northern Brewer 2 weeks ago

Remember, hops are low calorie and taste great!!

In reality, I had the same questions awhile back. I tried brewing lighter session beers, and found a few decent ones. However, I personally found I would rather have 1 IPA or porter than 2 or 3 session beers. As I cut back I found I like brewing a lot more than the drinking (and I like drinking :) ) I can go a week without even thinking about tapping my kegs. I usually end up having to invite friends over to float my kegs so I can get the next batches in. :mug:

I just totally used your quote as my Status on FB...

BTW... Thanx everyone for the Help.. I will just keep enjoying my babies the way im doing now.. I appreciate all the feed back

Latest posts

Back