How's This for a Pride and Joy Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
Pride and Joy
A ProMash Recipe Report

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.75
Anticipated OG: 1.049 Plato: 12.25
Anticipated SRM: 8.6
Anticipated IBU: 34.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes
-------------
Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
82.1 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
7.7 0.75 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
5.1 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
5.1 0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 30.5 60 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 4.1 10 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 0.0 0 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
WY1056 or equivelent

Is this the same one you sent me last night? I wasn't able to open it because I don't have PM on that computer.

What did you base the recipe on? Info from the website or something?

Yeah, it's the same one I sent you. The only info I was able to find was it's ABV (5.0%) and IBU (31) from Three Floyds website. The rest is my own personal WAG.

You've had this before. I think the key is all the late additions. It would be pretty bland otherwise, IMO. I could probably even knock down the 60 min charge and increase my late additions.

Yeah, I remember it, it was an odd beer--in that it held the IBUs really well. To me it was like a bitter on steroids kind of.

I'm surprised you are going to use 1056. It'll work though. Maybe even 1272.

Also, I'd maybe add some victory or some aromatic or something like that. IIRC, it was an amber color and had a nice malty backbone.

Take my suggestions with a grain of salt though--I don't remember it all that well.

You may be right about the malts.....of course I haven't had it since I've been here. What I love about it is that it's just extremely clean throughout. Very nice hop flavor and aroma despite the low IBUs. So I was more or less formulating an Amarillo delivery vehicle. :D

Surely Dude and I aren't the only two people here who had tried Three Floyds Pride and Joy mild ale and have an opinion.........

SwAMi75, I love FFF's P&J . Drink it all the time. Has that great hop aroma that drops off quickly. I usally drink a couple sixers a month. I live pretty close to FFF's and Bells so they are on the shelves of the local party stores. I've been wanting to brew my own version of it for about a year now, but haven't found a good clone yet. Maybe I'll try yours. Thanks

Back