5 Thumbs Brew Sculpture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome is not even close to describing your machine. I need a TIG attachment for my welder!

I want a TIG welder, and the water-jet machine you used to cut the panel! That is sweet!

If it was me, and keep in mind that I'm half crazy, I'd replace the black steel behind the logo with frosted glass or poly... then use different colored LEDs or bulbs to make it glow different depending on where you are in the brewing process. Maybe red when HLT or MLT heat is being applied, blue when chilling, use your imagination. Wholly both unnecessary, and fun.

I like you're idea diaotnic...I'm the "brew buddy" frequently refered to...co-owner of the 5-Thumbs version of Brutus. I was thinking of a simple EL (electroluminescent) panel, but since we commonly brew on bright sunny days, i'm worried the EL panel would not be bright enough to even notice the affect. Still working on ideas...but I think the panel needs some more lighting. Thanks to all for all the positive comments, it certainly is motivating!

We finally finished our Brutus Clone this week and did a couple water test runs. Today was the inaugural batch, which we named Primus Pale Ale!!! We have a few small kinks to work out, but overall it was a successful brew session. We'd love to her your thoughts on the finished product or suggestions to improve it. (The keggle lids still need to be polished)

DSC05525.JPG

DSC05526.JPG

DSC05527.JPG

DSC05528.JPG

DSC05529.JPG

DSC05530.JPG

DSC05531.JPG

DSC05532.JPG

man, that's nice. I'm working on mine right now. A few Q's for ya. I just got one of those burners.
1. how far below the skirt of the keg does the burner sit? did you like it on the test run?
2. how deep are the shields around the burners, looks like 5" or so.
3. Do you think the holes in the shield are necessary, or that many even?

on the stand: do you think the metal stops are necessary to hold your keggles in place? I figure the weight of them alone should keep them from slipping, unless you got someone trying to push them off, which would just be silly.

Thanks, and keep up the updates and alterations you make to improve the rig; i'll be following closely!

It looks very nice....the only thing that is iffy is the fire extinguisher right next to the burner. If your burners put out alot of conductive/radiant heat (your banjo's burn way hotter than mine) as mine do......overheating that extinguisher could spell trouble.

I hate to sound like a stupid ricky rescue but:
Each extinguisher should be installed away from potential fire hazards such as heating appliances.

I'd hate for that thing to fail over repeated heatings and you or your kids get hurt....just a thought

Joe

I think it came out very well. You guys did a bang up job.:mug:

Hows the condensate with those lids like that? Is there a lot that runs down the sides?

man, that's nice. I'm working on mine right now. A few Q's for ya. I just got one of those burners.
1. how far below the skirt of the keg does the burner sit? did you like it on the test run?
2. how deep are the shields around the burners, looks like 5" or so.
3. Do you think the holes in the shield are necessary, or that many even?

on the stand: do you think the metal stops are necessary to hold your keggles in place? I figure the weight of them alone should keep them from slipping, unless you got someone trying to push them off, which would just be silly.

Thanks, and keep up the updates and alterations you make to improve the rig; i'll be following closely!

I'll have to measure to answer questions #1 and #2 above, but 5" is likely close. The burners are crazy hot and you have to really turn them down to avoid a boil over once you get the wort to 212 degrees. The holes in the heat shield are necessary to allow the flames to get enough oxygen. We get a good blue flame, but I am far from an expert if that many are necessary.

The metal stops are more for keeping the keggle centered on the burner, but the added safety of an easy bump not causing an accidential spill is also nice.

It looks very nice....the only thing that is iffy is the fire extinguisher right next to the burner. If your burners put out alot of conductive/radiant heat (your banjo's burn way hotter than mine) as mine do......overheating that extinguisher could spell trouble.

I hate to sound like a stupid ricky rescue but:
Each extinguisher should be installed away from potential fire hazards such as heating appliances.

I'd hate for that thing to fail over repeated heatings and you or your kids get hurt....just a thought

Joe

Yeah, we already realized we have to take out the fire extinguisher when firing up the boil keggle.

I think it came out very well. You guys did a bang up job.:mug:

Hows the condensate with those lids like that? Is there a lot that runs down the sides?

Thanks for the kind comments. We actually didn't experience any condensation coming down the side of the lids.

Awesome job on the Brutus, did you fabricate the lids? Could I see a look down shot of them, I need to do something for covers and these look good.

We finally finished our Brutus Clone this week and did a couple water test runs. Today was the inaugural batch, which we named Primus Pale Ale!!! We have a few small kinks to work out, but overall it was a successful brew session. We'd love to her your thoughts on the finished product or suggestions to improve it.

Thoughts on the finished product or suggestions to improve it? You must be on crack! Buddy, you have taken Brutus to a new "art" level with this thing. Most excellent job! Stealing pics for my website now...

Thanks for the kind comments. We actually didn't experience any condensation coming down the side of the lids.

Nice. I thought you would have had condensate run out of the weep holes on the kegs. That's sweet if you didn't.

Nice. I thought you would have had condensate run out of the weep holes on the kegs. That's sweet if you didn't.

If you are referring the "weep holes" near the top of the keg and slightly below the handles, they were welded shut on all three keggles.

If you are referring the "weep holes" near the top of the keg and slightly below the handles, they were welded shut on all three keggles.

I am. I didn't catch that they were welded shut. Thank you.

Edit; I went back and looked at your pics....I see it now.

nbspindel: the answer to your remaining questions are below:
1. how far below the skirt of the keg does the burner sit? did you like it on the test run? 3.5 inches
2. how deep are the shields around the burners, looks like 5" or so. 3.25 inches, they are removable and fit tightly around the banjo burner

Awesome job on the Brutus, did you fabricate the lids? Could I see a look down shot of them, I need to do something for covers and these look good.

Yes, my brew partner's father-in-law fabricated the lids. He's obviously a custom welder by trade.

Below are two pictures the boil keggle lids. The piping and elbow is to let the sweet wort from the sparge trickle down the side of the keggle. Again, they still need polishing, but are made out of 304 stainless steel.

DSC05533.JPG

DSC05534.JPG

:mug:

Thoughts on the finished product or suggestions to improve it? You must be on crack! Buddy, you have taken Brutus to a new "art" level with this thing. Most excellent job! Stealing pics for my website now...

Thanks Lonnie! You gave birth to Brutus, we just took your original design and made slight improvements.

Cheers to beer! :mug:

Were all the holes welded shut? If so, that is very dangerous. As the air inside the "rolled" parts of the keg expands from the heat, the pressure could build tremendously. You should have at least one hole somewhere along the top and bottom lips to prevent any pressure from building.

Were all the holes welded shut? If so, that is very dangerous. As the air inside the "rolled" parts of the keg expands from the heat, the pressure could build tremendously. You should have at least one hole somewhere along the top and bottom lips to prevent any pressure from building.

I think he was referring to the quarter size holes that allow the top collar to drain off the sides. Not the tiny holes that vent the rolled edge of the collar.

I think he was referring to the quarter size holes that allow the top collar to drain off the sides. Not the tiny holes that vent the rolled edge of the collar.

SweetSounds is correct, just the drain holes were welded shuts. The vent holes were not welded shut. You can clearly see the holes that were welded shut in the pictures I posted. Just a little extra space to prevent a boil over and to keep heat from escaping during the mash. :)

I'll comment my friend! I friggin LOVE it so far! Please keep the pics coming our way. And if you would allow, I would love to put a pic this on my Brutus Ten page on my website...

So you have given it a wider stance... Ascetically, that looks VERY pleasing to the eye! I am assuming you will have it on casters as well?

Nice job... Nothing like a good looking TIG weld.

Actually I think the wider stance definitely makes if look decidedly more ROCKET LIKE. Wouldn't you agree Lonnie?

This stand is awesome. Whats even better is that he put a link to a picasa web album for the pics in the first post. Now I don't have to read comments like mine to get to the meat of it :mug:

Back